Inversion table success?

Options
Hello. I deal with fibromyalgia pain and mostly chronic low back pain due to my spine fusing naturally (according to my therapist). Been to physiotherapists and do my exercises every day with not too much relief. I'm exercising again and stretching lots and just recently started using my inversion table again and I seem to be finally getting a little bit of back pain pain relief. Anybody swear by these things for pain relief? What is your inversion table story please? Bad or good are welcomed. I just want to make sure I'm not going to do more harm than good. Thank you. :)

Replies

• megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    We have had an inversion table for about ten years and love it. I have minor scoliosis and my husband issues from beating his body up in his earl 20s. I just started exercising again and do a lot of stretching and pilates. I have fond that getting on the table for just a few minutes 2 or 3 times a week really stretches my back (I do not flip all the way upside down, probably go at about 45 degree angle) and takes pressure off to realign. If i do it right after one of my pilates workouts I feel great for weeks. We got one because or chiropractor recommended it.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My husband uses his faithfully. Several years ago he fell 30 feet off a ladder onto a concrete floor. He complained of back issues so I bought him one and he loves it. I don't know, in your case, if it's advisable to do the inversion. Has your therapist said it would be ok?
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I asked him and he said they don't do anything. That they're over rated. So I just figured he wanted to keep seeing me so he can make money lol.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've never tried one myself but my Dad has one. Swears it was great for neck/shoulder pain as he was on the computer 10-12hr days. Now he's semi- retired and doesnt sit on the computer all day he doesnt use it.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Thanks!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rushgirl82 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I asked him and he said they don't do anything. That they're over rated. So I just figured he wanted to keep seeing me so he can make money lol.

If you have such little trust then why do you keep going?

Fwiw I've seen some anecdotal reports of benefit but nothing credible.
  • tvmounta
    tvmounta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, some claim that using a inversion table can reduce their back pain. I read a post on Tweedsmag which claims that it has some benefit to that effect. I can say, you can go ahead and try it out with an affordable inversion table and see for yourself if it works. Anyways, get well soon.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i would guess off the top of my head that it might depend to a great extent on what's causing your discomfort in the first place. for soft tissue i have had very reputable massage/bodywork people do 'joint distractions' on me that felt wonderful. and i've seen one of the most technically knowledgeable and effective trainers at my local rec centre putting on specialized boots and hanging himself upside down from the top of the smith machine bar.

but as i say, those are soft tissue type things, aka nothign more than 'my x or y muscle is really tight'. also: the distraction i underwent was controlled and pretty specific, whereas the guy who hung himself upside down like a bat is disgustingly healthy and strong, to begin with. plus he's also a bodywork professional of sorts in his own right and was probably being far more controlled and mindful about it than a spectator like me would ahve been aware of.

so i'm not sure if it's the kind of thing just-anybody should do.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Rushgirl82 wrote: »

Or, maybe he's telling you the truth based on his experience, which is what you asked for. It could well be that in his experience he's not seen anyone significantly helped by them and there's no scientific proof they help most people. That doesn't mean it can't help you.