calories in instant noodles - couldnt believe it

Options
Hello,

So I bought a few packets of those quick instant noodles that you just add hot water to for my lunches at work. They are R3 a packet which is extremely cheap and I thought there wouldn't be many calories in them because they are pretty much just dried noodles..little did I know. I used the barcode scanner today at work and was shocked to see they are 322 calories for a 73g pack! that is ridiculous! does anybody else think this is right or is the barcode scanner going crazy?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nope, that's right. Doesn't it break your heart? Trident hot n spicy 2 minute noodles are my favourite, but at 500 cal a pack, they are a sometimes food.
  • suibhne
    suibhne Posts: 17
    Options
    You can find instant noodle packages that are much less - more like 175 calories for a packet. You might need to hit the natural foods section, tho. I recall some organic ramen packages being pretty moderate, for example. And the nice thing is that such soups are a great base for fresh veggies; you can cut up peppers, onions, cucumbers, etc. to get extra nutrients and a more filling lunch.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Um...did you read the label?
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    yes it does break my heart, they are so delicious :(
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    my kids love them, I do not, so I am not missing out,
  • FBDS1953
    FBDS1953 Posts: 1
    Options
    they are also loaded with sodium. The calories come from fat, they are actually fried up first before packaging. This is one item you should really stay away from it has hardly any nutritional value on its own.
  • Bodgeybodge
    Bodgeybodge Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, they're probably nowhere near as delicious as the ones you have mentioned, but I get "Super Snack - Oodles of Noodles Curry Flavour, 55 g" from places like Cool trader (UK) I'm not sure where you are based but its worth having a look for them, they are under 100 cals per portion and I think they're pretty good!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    With any dried food, you're unlikely to get under 292 calories for 73g; as protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram; 4x73=292.

So it's unlikely much of those calories come from fat (and what's up with fat anyway.)
    And sodium, for that matter.

I tend to use them as a 'backup'/emergency food, so if anything, I'd want more calories to keep me going.
  • lieladp
    lieladp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Based on the fact that you refer to Rands I presume you are a South African. If so, try Pick 'n Pay's fat free version. It has less than 200 cals for an entire packet.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Based on the fact that you refer to Rands I presume you are a South African. If so, try Pick 'n Pay's fat free version. It has less than 200 cals for an entire packet.

You are a lifesaver! I am indeed in SA so will definitely look out for those, thank you.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Um...did you read the label?

This.

In any case, I'm not sure why you're so shocked. Noodles are high in calories in general and those instant soups are loaded with sodium and deficient in nutrients. It's a terrible choice all around.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Those instant noodles are so good, especially Nissin ones. Too bad they are so high in calories..
  • suibhne
    suibhne Posts: 17
    Options

I'm here (South Africa) for the summer, and the PnP packets are exactly what I was thinking of with my post, too. :D (Tho you can also get all-natural, lower-calorie, lower-sodium options in the US.)
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    With any dried food, you're unlikely to get under 292 calories for 73g; as protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram; 4x73=292.

So it's unlikely much of those calories come from fat (and what's up with fat anyway.)
    And sodium, for that matter.

I tend to use them as a 'backup'/emergency food, so if anything, I'd want more calories to keep me going.

I think a lot of dried noodles have been deep fried before being dried out, so there would be a lot of fat in them.

When I found out the calories in instant noodles I was so shocked. I don't even really like them!!! Not at all worth.