Costco food tasting guesstimate!

So I was at Costco today and need some help estimating my calories!
Here's what I had
2 tortilla chips with tbsp of hummus
2 tbsp of Greek yogurt with few raisins and drop of honey.
2 tbls of England clam chowder
Piece of turkey breast sandwich meat.
2 bites of my son's pizza
How many cals do u think?
I think 200 cals....

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    There's actually an entry or several in the database for costco samples - lol. I just log a serving our several of those. Good for you for being more accurate!
  • ashley51113
    ashley51113 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2017
    If you put each individual thing into the search engine it all adds up to about 265.

Oops but I forgot the sandwich meat.
  • This content has been removed.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes, just log each thing but err on the high side for quantities.

Sounds like you had a good trip! I love free samples.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    I'll play
    300 calories.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I thought Costco samples were negative calorie foods since you have to push the big carts around to get them! :)

I usually just quick add 300-500 calories depending on what they had that day.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited February 2017
    2 tortilla chips 27 calories
    1 tbsps hummus 50 calories (could be less, but I prefer to be sure)
    2 tbsps greek yogurt 30 calories
    6 or 7 raisins (estimate of how many) 13 calories
    .5tsp or a bit more of honey 15 calories
    2 tbsp Costco Clam Chowder (it's in the database) 30 calories
    1 slice of Costco/Kirkland Signature Turkey Breast 30 calories
    2 "bites" of pizza? Let's go with 75 calories because I don't know how big those bites were, etc
    Total: 270 calories.

I'd log 300 to 350 calories, just in case of error.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,181 Member
    On average Costco samples range from 50 to 150 Cal...EACH....
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited February 2017
    PAV8888 wrote: »

How do you know? Does this mean the sizes stated by OP (2tbsp etc) are off? Because based on those measurements the total would be under 300calories, but of course leaving room for error it could be higher. Actually....OP only had 4 samples anyway. So, I guess it could still be under 300.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,181 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

How do you know? Does this mean the sizes stated by OP (2tbsp etc) are off? Because based on those measurements the total would be under 300calories, but of course leaving room for error it could be higher. Actually....OP only had 4 samples anyway. So, I guess it could still be under 300.

Measurements based on my own estimates/logging from 2 locations in British Columbia, 1 in Alberta, 1 in Washington State. Minimal sample was 30 cal, maximal was 250 most were between 50 and 150.

Note that 50 to 150 per sample still leaves the OP at 200 on the low end (and they do sound like small samples, especially the single slice of luncheon meat which would normally be served with something else) plus the pizza.

i.e. back at the ~300 range that most people have suggested.

I tend to photograph my samples and log them after. Sometimes I also scan the packages at the time for easy reference.

However 50 small, 100 medium, 150 big sample seems to work fairly close **for the items I tend to try**. Yes, there are some items that I don't even approach so my sampling is not necessarily applicable to everyone.
  • GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    thanks everybody! I actually only logged 200 cals for it but im going to keep it there because it makes me feel better lol. plus i went over yesterday because of 4 low blood sugars with my t1 diabetes.