First Half Marathon...Milage or Cross Training?

Options
Hey guys! Longtime lurker, but I rarely post, so hopefully I'm putting this in the right spot.

I just registered for my first half marathon! Yay! ....Race Day is in 11 weeks... So I am clearly going to be under prepared. For various reasons, doing this specific race is very important to me so I'm trying to figure out how to best adapt my training plan.

I plan on following the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan, and cutting out week 11 to still account for taper week.

My primary question, where I have to option to either cross train or do a short run, should I run or x-train? I am a heavier runner (currently 218), so don't want to over stress my legs with extra concussion if I don't have to. For x-training I plan to alternate with swimming/biking/elliptical, basically anything that will work cardio without extra concussion. I'm leaning towards doing more cross training, but worry about a lack of milage prior to race day. Currently I am only doing 2-3 miles 3x a week. Thoughts/suggestions/general tips?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    It is ill-advised to run to back to back days if your body is unaccustomed to it. So yes, I would cross train instead. With that being said, your long run is the most important part of the plan. As long as you stick to it, you should be fine. Doing too much mileage could increase the risk for injury.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get too religious about it. Personally I'd suggest running but if you don't feel like it then cross train.

I'd recommend cycling as most effective as it balances the running in a way that the elliptical doesn't
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    It is ill-advised to run to back to back days if your body is unaccustomed to it. So yes, I would cross train instead. With that being said, your long run is the most important part of the plan. As long as you stick to it, you should be fine. Doing too much mileage could increase the risk for injury.

So one should avoid adapting their bodies to running every day?

I think trying to run everyday (but you should take a rest day or two) is an important part of any plan. But, it should be done in a gradual and consistent manner to avoid an overtraining injury. That means low intensity and when you start to feel fatigued, pack it in. Do this until you can walk/run 5-6 days a week. Then add 10-15% duration from there. 11 weeks is a short time, but I am sure it is doable.

My problem with cross training is it makes you a jack of all trades, master of none. People claim they break through their plateau or fixed some injury with cross training, but I feel like most are on the overtraining path and then they add in cross training which is essentially a rest day for whatever their primary sport is and they find out they break through their plateau and/or have their nagging injury go away. Triathletes would be another example, when you are in your best triathlon shape, you can't set a PR like you could if you were training for just one of the sports. JMO.
  • vespiquenn
    edited February 2017
    Options

I think trying to run everyday (but you should take a rest day or two) is an important part of any plan. But, it should be done in a gradual and consistent manner to avoid an overtraining injury. That means low intensity and when you start to feel fatigued, pack it in. Do this until you can walk/run 5-6 days a week. Then add 10-15% duration from there. 11 weeks is a short time, but I am sure it is doable.

My problem with cross training is it makes you a jack of all trades, master of none. People claim they break through their plateau or fixed some injury with cross training, but I feel like most are on the overtraining path and then they add in cross training which is essentially a rest day for whatever their primary sport is and they find out they break through their plateau and/or have their nagging injury go away. Triathletes would be another example, when you are in your best triathlon shape, you can't set a PR like you could if you were training for just one of the sports. JMO.

I think you're attempting to make a problem that isn't there. OP seems to be a beginner to longer distances (OP, I apologize if this is not the case based on assumptions). So yes, running back to back is still ill-advised because the joints are not accustomed to it. That's not to say they can't eventually do this, but right now is not the time. Even I run back to back days now, but it took work to get there.

Beyond that, are you saying that a beginner should risk injury by running too much? Cross-training is useful on days that you don't want a rest day but want activity and want to continue working on your aerobic base.

• ronocnikral
    Options

I think you're attempting to make a problem that isn't there. OP seems to be a beginner to longer distances (OP, I apologize if this is not the case based on assumptions). So yes, running back to back is still ill-advised because the joints are not accustomed to it. That's not to say they can't eventually do this, but right now is not the time. Even I run back to back days now, but it took work to get there.

Beyond that, are you saying that a beginner should risk injury by running too much? Cross-training is useful on days that you don't want a rest day but want activity and want to continue working on your aerobic base.

"aerobic base" is specific to the sport. it's a misnomer to think that swimming helps your running aerobic base in any significant way. or cycling, or weight lifting.

The problem with most when starting out running is they have the wrong training mentality (no pain, no gain). I was overweight when I picked up running 16-17 weeks ago, and I've run almost every training day. It wasn't pretty, but the trick is to not go too hard or too long. It works, and is much better for your "aerobic base" than the wonky every other day training programs. I also believe a beginner is much more likely to be injured with too high of an intensity, even if 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe we're talking past each other a bit, but running every day is much better than a couple times a week and can be applied safely if one moderates their intensity and is honest with themselves when they feel fatigued. JMO.
  • vespiquenn
    Options

"aerobic base" is specific to the sport. it's a misnomer to think that swimming helps your running aerobic base in any significant way. or cycling, or weight lifting.

The problem with most when starting out running is they have the wrong training mentality (no pain, no gain). I was overweight when I picked up running 16-17 weeks ago, and I've run almost every training day. It wasn't pretty, but the trick is to not go too hard or too long. It works, and is much better for your "aerobic base" than the wonky every other day training programs. I also believe a beginner is much more likely to be injured with too high of an intensity, even if 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe we're talking past each other a bit, but running every day is much better than a couple times a week and can be applied safely if one moderates their intensity and is honest with themselves when they feel fatigued. JMO.

Source on running everyday is better for you? Genuinely curious to look into something like that.

I would argue that a beginner isn't going to be familiar with signs of injury. In the beginning, many confuse achy pains of soreness to injury pains because they don't know the difference. And the evidence is clear of that based on threads asking questions on the topic. There was even one yesterday on whether they had sore ankles or an injury beginning.

So it's really easy to tell someone that they need to be honest with themselves, but that's easier said then done. You are still technically a new runner, and a very lucky one at that to not be injured with the running load you took on daily. But what happened for you is not the norm. There is reasons why any training plan, Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, and even C25k breaks up runs to be every other day in the beginning and to not increase your distance any more than ~10% per week. It takes out the need to be honest with one's self because the opportunity to get injured is decreased.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I mean this with no snark whatsoever, but come back when you've been running more than a few months.

It is very important to get mileage in and build muscle by tearing and repairing it, a new runner can easily over do it and running back to back days without allowing for rest is one of most common reasons new runners get injured.

OP, it is important to get in your long runs and to build endurance, but days of cross training allow you to still work muscles (like your core for example which is HUGE for runners) but gives your legs and knees a break.

I speak from experience as someone who didn't take rest days and ended up with a stress fracture a week before a half marathon. I'm still in recovery, and that was last May.

• brndog
    brndog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stick to the higdon plan and you will do well. Missing an occasional short run is ok, but try to do the long runs. For this race and timeframe, I wouldn't worry about cross training.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, squats, and lunges will strengthen your lower body, which I've found very helpful even as a novice, with short distance running.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I'm another who got injured just prior to my first HM because I ramped up the mileage too quickly. Since the OP is a complete beginner, and doing a minimal mileage plan, an extra day of running isn't going to be of much benefit and could increase the risk of injury. Cross training will help with overall fitness and hopefully will not stress the body as much.

For your next HM, build your base mileage over several months before you begin your race training. When you run more miles, then running more days will actually decrease your risk of injury because you spread the mileage over more days. 40-50 miles over 5 days or 6 days is easier on the body than doing it over 3.
  • ronocnikral
    Options

I mean this with no snark whatsoever, but come back when you've been running more than a few months.

It is very important to get mileage in and build muscle by tearing and repairing it, a new runner can easily over do it and running back to back days without allowing for rest is one of most common reasons new runners get injured.

OP, it is important to get in your long runs and to build endurance, but days of cross training allow you to still work muscles (like your core for example which is HUGE for runners) but gives your legs and knees a break.

I speak from experience as someone who didn't take rest days and ended up with a stress fracture a week before a half marathon. I'm still in recovery, and that was last May.

What do you want me to "come back" and report on? And when?

I would also argue, too high of intensity and too long of duration on back to back days is what causes injury. I'm not knocking the boiler plate training programs, but just because there is a culture of over intense training doesn't mean there isn't a better way.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was overweight when I picked up running 16-17 weeks ago, and I've run almost every training day. .

I hadn't appreciated in other threads where you've alluded to your high training volume that you're a novice runner.

Personally I'll continue to advocate what the majority of very successful runners and coaches suggest, which is maintaining a level of cross training. It helps manage injury risk, as well as compensating for elements that running doesn't develop.

Novice1 is a pretty conservative plan, hence my comments above, but your advice is flawed.

Fwiw last year I ran two marathons, an ultra and several HMs. Cycling and resistance training helped.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I found that the best was to improve my running was to add in some cycling.

OP what is your current mileage prior to starting the hal Higdon plan?
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The Jeff Galloway program is a good program for a first HM. I run a modified Galloway schedule -- more running and less walking but I'm a slow walker. I've run about 12 HM in the last 3 years now -- I ran my first marathon a long time ago based on time program -- doesn't matter the mileage you put in, work on increasing your time. Your pace will increase naturally. After your first HM then you can work on speed. I would suggest working up to at least 10 miles about 3-4 weeks before your race. Then you'll be confident that 13 is no big deal.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    If your goal is simply to finish the half, which as a beginner with only 11weeks to train, this probably should be your goal, I would also recommend cross training on those days. The long run will be the most important run for endurance to get you through the race. I've always heard the advice that you really should only increase your mileage by about 10% per week to avoid injury. You will be doing this or more already by increasing your long run, so I would not worry as much about multiple other runs during the week.

I'm also training for a half after a 10 year break from them. I've run sporadically over the past several years. My training plan is to get to 11-13 mile long run, with a single 2-5 mile run during the week. My goal for this one is just to finish.

I also recommend walking breaks if you want to limit stress on your legs as a beginner (esp if you have extra weight). I'm currently doing half miles running with about 1:20 min walking in between. I can really tell the difference from way-back-when when all I did was run.

Good luck and have fun!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I would follow the plan as is, and do cross-training where it says, but also to REST when it tells you to rest. resting is an important part of muscle building, and will help prevent over-training.

I would also consider adding in a walk-run plan if the mileage becomes difficult. Jeff Galloway recommends 30-45 seconds walking at regular intervals (he has a chart to show what sort of intervals). He doesn't recommend walking longer than a minute during the walk interval.

I'm also training for a HM, and have been running just over a year, with several 10k off-road races in there. I am aiming simply to finish (it's a hilly off-road course) and I think that is the goal to aim for.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

what's the source for your information? Everything I have been reading about training (I’m a novice with a little over a year training, did c25k, currently aiming for a HM, max distance so far 9.5m, run 3-4 times a week with 1 long run).

I’ve seen studies that show cross-training is excellent in helping running, that running athletes focus on strength training for the off-season, that cycling helps to build muscle and is one of the best ways of preparing legs for hills.

I’ve also seen studies that show one of the main ways a new runner gets injured is running too much too soon, and that resting helps to establish both aerobic endurance AND allow bones and joints to develop to cope with the impact on them. Resting should be considered an ACTIVE part of your body development, stuff going on behind the scenes that helps the body grow – this is something a body builder knows well so why shouldn’t a runner?

I’d be very interested in understanding where your ideas are coming from, and I have to confess to being hesitant to agree with a relative newcomer to the sport. What has worked for you over the last 16-17 weeks may not continue to work in this way.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I would also argue, too high of intensity and too long of duration on back to back days is what causes injury. I'm not knocking the boiler plate training programs, but just because there is a culture of over intense training doesn't mean there isn't a better way.

Running 5-6 days a week is really hard on the body, for very experienced runners who have been training for years. Recommending this to a novice is not good advice and while it may work for the first few months, it's not a good mindset in the long run.

I'm a triathlete and I've hit plenty of running PRs while training. Cycling did wonders for my runs, actually, and gave my shins rest from the impact of the ground.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Running 5-6 days a week is really hard on the body, for very experienced runners who have been training for years. Recommending this to a novice is not good advice and while it may work for the first few months, it's not a good mindset in the long run.

I'm a triathlete and I've hit plenty of running PRs while training. Cycling did wonders for my runs, actually, and gave my shins rest from the impact of the ground.

I've had better race/distance PR's in legs of triathlons than I ever had in stand-alone races - give me an ironman triathlon any day of the week over a straight up marathon
  • MandyLou517
    MandyLou517 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

Currently I am running 6-9 miles a week on average and have been for the past two months or so. So while I have some base, it is not a strong one by any stretch of the imagination. This is my first time prepping for any sort of distance longer than a 5k. About 4 years and 40lbs less I was doing closer to 12-15 miles a week, but running now is very different! I am hoping that starting up again will help me shed some of these unwanted pounds!

I absolutely plan on following a walk-run system, and have zero shame in doing more walking than running if necessary!

I am a firm believer in rest days. I most likely will do some gentle yoga and nothing more strenuous than walking the dog on those days.