Breakfast - high cholesterol and hate sweet AM food

Options
AmyOutOfControl
AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
Recipes please! I have high cholesterol (super high) so eggs are out. I have been eating scrambled egg whites with veggies or oatmeal in the mornings. I am getting bored of eating the same things every day.

The problem is that I hate sweet foods in the morning. It seems like all breakfast stuff is loaded with sugary something. I would rather eat something savory. Healthy savory breakfast ideas anyone?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Breakfast food, as a concept, was invented by companies which sell breakfast food. There is absolutely no reason to eat "breakfast food" in the mornings. Have a sandwich, or some tuna on crackers (I quite often have tuna and cottage cheese). Have some soup, or leftovers. Have whatever floats your boat!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Error.

The latest and best science on serum cholesterol finds no association with food cholesterol.

While it's not exactly what you asked for, my suggestion is that you ditch your 1970's dogma.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Error.

The latest and best science on serum cholesterol finds no association with food cholesterol.

While it's not exactly what you asked for, my suggestion is that you ditch your 1970's dogma.

My doctor told me to cut cholesterol and saturated fat from my diet.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Error.

I didn't want to be the first person to say that lol
  • Bill2728
    Bill2728 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    amy, the following is a good generalized article about cholesterol: http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/paging-dr-gupta/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-my-diet-and-cholesterol/?pos=4&xid=nl_EverydayHealthHealthyLiving_20170205
    from another that's getting bored with oatmeal and eggbeater/spinach omlets
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I don't have a sweet tooth, I don't like sweet stuff for breakfast, and I don't like oatmeal either but a toasted whole wheat English muffin or whole wheat waffler topped with low fat cheese and low sodium ham or turkey do the trick.
    You can also scramble egg whites with tomatoes, mushrooms or other kind of vegetable (except spinach :D ) and put on top of the muffin or toasted bread. Add some salsa for additional flavor.

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    we make our own smoothies in the morning, you can use whatever you like
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    As my Nutrition professor said, no one actually did the research that linked dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol. They just assumed they were related. If you'd still like to avoid cholesterol, it is found exclusively in animal products. Baking/roasting some vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, or brussels sprouts (I use a tablespoon of olive oil to make the seasoning stick) can add a lot of fiber and you can rotate the flavors.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to kind of light in the mornings, and I take a quasi-Mediterranean approach toward breakfast: some kind of bread (I make my own, using a variety of flours - kind of fun), and either a banana or an orange. I input protein via a 21g container of peanut butter. And coffee, of course!

This can hold me nicely for a long while.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor! Seriously. And check out this website: https://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-nutrition/