Need tasty veggie dishes please!

Options
My husband and I have begun a healthy eating lifestyle, avoiding red meats and getting our protein from plant sources. Got any good veggie meals/snacks you go to that are convenient and tasty? We want to make sure we dont fall back into old eating habits and have plenty of options. Thank you!

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    There are so many...and what you are looking for probably varies by kitchen skill, time available, etc.

I love Moosewood cookbooks; they also have a bunch of recipes online. They tend towards higher skill levels/more ingredients sometimes (but, oh, the soups & stews!). The Kitchn website has a bunch of veggie recipes, including a lovely Spinach Lasagna Roll-ups, which are easy, fast and tasty. And versitle...I change the fillings to zucchini and mushrooms, etc. Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker is terrific, if you like crock pots.

Go to the library, check out vegetarian cookbooks before you buy any...also, check out used book stores for cheap veggie cookbooks. I'm a huge cookbook junkie...at least a third of my more than five dozen cookbooks are vegetarian...and a lot of them I got secondhand. Or try out the Vegetarian Times website...they've got lots of wonderful recipes.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Check out Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz!
  • scorpionqueen72
    scorpionqueen72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh, m'gosh! Do I ever have the MOST delicious veggie recipe for you! Super simple too. I found it when I was craving a "stir fry" type dish. We are trying to eat mostly Paleo, so soy sauce was out. All I did was peel, and cut carrots into like 4" strips (think the size of french fries) and then cut asparagus in half. You decide on how much you want. Then I put a little avocado oil in a pan threw in the carrots first (they take longer to soften) added salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. And here's the magic that makes it a WOW dish....I poured in some Coconut Aminos (this serves as a Paleo soy sauce, but without all the sodium, carbs, calories, etc). Then I added back the asparagus and just sauteed until it was the texture I wanted. At the very end, I added some cut up garlic that I had already roasted and froze. (another good tip: roast a ton of garlic bulbs, freeze on a cookie sheet, and then put in a zip lock....then you can just take them out and add them to any dish!)
    The carrots are SO sweet with a salty glaze...these are amazing! :P