Anyone else getting sick often?

Options
I've lost almost 25 pounds since December and I've been sick 3 times. I normally only get sick once a year, so this is different for me.
I have been nauseated and freakishly tired during these bouts of sickness. So tired that I sleep 11 hours at night and still take a 3 hour nap. I can barely eat. These bouts of sickness last about a week and no one else around me catches it...so I think its internal to me.
Is this normal? Does losing weight just make your immune system whack? Or am I really just getting all this sickness that has been going around this winter?? Anyone else??

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? How much are you exercising? Have you spoken with your doctor to check for nutritional deficiencies? Sounds like your body is needing more than it's getting, but that just the first thought that pops into my head.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating? How much are you exercising? Have you spoken with your doctor to check for nutritional deficiencies? Sounds like your body is needing more than it's getting, but that just the first thought that pops into my head.
    I normally eat 1400-1600 calories and exercise about 3 times a week other than walking. However, while I'm sick and nauseated, I can't keep anything down so I eat a whole lot less.
    My diary is open. Please keep in mind that the days (like yesterday) that o am severely under calorie goal is due to being sick, not by choice.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Persistent undereating can result in getting sick more often. Can't look at your diary right now, so hopefully others will help.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    Options
    Promise I am not under eating guys...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The 25lbs lost have been over how many weeks? Big difference if it's beginning of December versus end of December. I'll go look at your diary now.

ETA: Diary isn't open.

I'm wondering about nutritional deficiencies though. Even if you aren't undereating regularly, if you aren't getting enough things like iron, protein, fats, etc. these things can lead to imbalances.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    Options
    Sorry guys, I thought it was. I will try to open it. No reason to be rude with the "lol so..."

I always am low on protein, slightly low on carbs, and high on fat. Every day. Maybe that is problematic.

Oh and also I technically started losing back in October. But only about 2 pounds until December 10. That's when I started losing 2 pounds a week and I'm currently 22 pounds down.
  • cjordan2323
    cjordan2323 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should have labwork done. You may have some vitamin deficiencies that are causing increased lethargy. When you lose weight, your body goes through lots of changes.
  • leoniemcdee
    leoniemcdee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It could be coincidence. There are a LOT of really nasty viruses making the rounds at the moment and you might have just got a bit unlucky. My dad is generally pretty healthy, maybe one cold a year at most but this year he has had flu twice in two months.

That said, if you're worried, definitely get some tests to check for deficiencies and the like. Being low on vitamin D can make you feel really crappy, as can iron deficiency so might be worth looking into.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Moderate exercise can aid your immune system. Extreme exercise tends to have the opposite affect. If you are going too hard to fast you may be causing yourself trouble. In general calorie restriction can improve your immune system, but if you are doing it while you are sick it could cause a longer recovery time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Actually I found since I lost the weight I needed to that I have never been healthier (touch wood!) I used to get awful chesty coughs every winter that would last for around 6 weeks, haven't had anything other than a mild cold once or twice since I reached goal weight in 2013.

I think the fact that I am active contributes a lot and helps with the immune system.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Me!! I get sick maybe, once a year. I am now sick for the 4th time this fall/winter. I started MFP on January 25th so I blamed my illnesses on the fact that Ohio's weather has been very weird (77 Friday, 38 Saturday w/ snow) and that my daughter started day care with 7 other 2 & 3 year olds in September .... Hope you feel better soon!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You describe 3 bouts of similar symptoms which you say doesn't seem to be contagious and you feel is intrinsic in nature.

This is really an issue/question for your doctor.

While diet changes, reduced immunity, nutritional deficiencies *could* be factors it could also be entirely unrelated.

Having people 'look at your diary' is not going to explain why you've had these three week long episodes of nausea, and the Dr may not be able to explain it either, but she/he can certainly examine you (rather than just your food log), run and analyse any tests and rule out or address any actual health issues.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses and input!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    could be coincidence . have a doc check blood levels just in case.

also could be overall diet. WHAT you eat im far from a 'health food nazi' but i do eat a pretty balanced diet. over the past almost 3 years now, ive noticed i get sick a LOT less than i used to.
  • uninc57
    uninc57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multi vitamin? Helps ensure you're getting enough nutrients.