10k Training plan

Options
Okohme
Okohme Posts: 152 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm doing the Jeff Galloway 10k training plan.
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k10kschedules/

I have completed the plan, but my race isn't for 4 weeks.
What do I do in the intervening weeks, just repeat the last week a few times?
I'm re adding some strength training to try and help with my overall fitness, but I wasn't sure what I should be doing in terms of running.

At present I am running 4mi on Tuesday, 4mi on Saturday, and 7mi on Sunday.

Also, if you were or are looking at what to do AFTER you run your 10k, what does training look like after the race?

I don't know yet whether I've the heart for the next step up from the 10k, so maintenance would be my goal.

Replies

• 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Adding in strength training as your cross training is a good idea. I would repeat the last 4 week cycle not the last week over and over as its given you a bit of a breather the week before leading up to the race with the 'long' run on the Sunday.

My 10k training guide has the last week as 2 consecutive rest days before the race and about halves the runs during the week and drops a strength + run to just run.(So it only has strength on the Monday of race week). I would give myself a good 3-4days before the race of no weights. I did a solid workout Sat arvo and can still feel the effects of it now (Mon lunch).

As for maintenance its really about finding what level of activity you are happy to keep up. To train 5-6 days cuts into my social/family life which I am happy to do for period but for ongoing I aim for 3-4 days a week. ATM I am doing 2 x strength + cardio days and a weekly 5km run. I dont currently regularly exercise on the weekend but a least 1 of those days is pretty active around the house/garden or I might do an extra run.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I should have added that while running was my main goal previously I am switching to a strength focus ATM.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue to improve as a runner, you have two options: work on distance or work on speed. You might do 5k specific training, with more speedwork. There are always a lot of 5ks available. Or you can increase your base, get your mileage up to 35 or so miles, and see if you feel ready to try for a half marathon. Or you can do both simultaneously.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Okohme wrote: »

Personally I'd suggest adding a fourth day, say 3 miles initially, probably a Thursday if you can.
    Also, if you were or are looking at what to do AFTER you run your 10k, what does training look like after the race?

If you're not intending on racing longer then I'd be structuring a plan around four days, with your long getting to 10 miles and your mid weeks all being 10K. That will allow you to develop the capacity to move away from Galloway style, and build in some speed work.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "I have completed the plan, but my race isn't for 4 weeks.
    What do I do in the intervening weeks, just repeat the last week a few times?" I suggest repeating the last 4 weeks of your plan.

"Also, if you were or are looking at what to do AFTER you run your 10k, what does training look like after the race?: This really depends on what your plans are. If I don't have a race scheduled and am not following a plan, I try to maintain at 25-30 miles a week the bulk of which are "conversational pace" runs, plus a week long run. If there is a race in the future I try to follow a plan for that race.

Last year I entered and raced in a Half Marathon in September. Most of my summer was taken up in with the training plan for that race.

Last year:

5K May 15
    5K May 30
    5K July 16
    4 Miles August 20
    5K September 18, warm up for the half and
    Half Marathon September 25.
    I figured with a race each month, or so, I always had something to train for.
    This year the May 29 5K will probably be a 10K, My first 10K race.
  • Okohme
    Options
    If you want to continue to improve as a runner, you have two options: work on distance or work on speed. You might do 5k specific training, with more speedwork. There are always a lot of 5ks available. Or you can increase your base, get your mileage up to 35 or so miles, and see if you feel ready to try for a half marathon. Or you can do both simultaneously.

Is it not really possible to do both? I have not gotten any faster for months, if anything, a little slower, but I can run much farther.
  • Okohme
    Options

Personally I'd suggest adding a fourth day, say 3 miles initially, probably a Thursday if you can.

If you're not intending on racing longer then I'd be structuring a plan around four days, with your long getting to 10 miles and your mid weeks all being 10K. That will allow you to develop the capacity to move away from Galloway style, and build in some speed work.

Love to. Not sure if I have the time for that, though. Time will tell, I suppose.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Is it not really possible to do both? I have not gotten any faster for months, if anything, a little slower, but I can run much farther.

I generally wouldn't recommend speed work until you're comfortably running 10K sessions 3-4 times per week. I'd then structure a plan around one long run, one easy paced 10K, one 10K speed session and a recovery run of between 5 and 10K.

For a 5K improvement plan your long would only be about 10K so perhaps two speed sessions and two easy pace/ recovery runs.

For a 10K speed plan your long would move up to about 10 miles, hence only doing one speed session per week.

Realistically, until you're working on that base volume you should be getting more benefit from aerobic endurance. Once you're there you've got the capacity to build in more.
  • Okohme
    Options

I generally wouldn't recommend speed work until you're comfortably running 10K sessions 3-4 times per week. I'd then structure a plan around one long run, one easy paced 10K, one 10K speed session and a recovery run of between 5 and 10K.

For a 5K improvement plan your long would only be about 10K so perhaps two speed sessions and two easy pace/ recovery runs.

For a 10K speed plan your long would move up to about 10 miles, hence only doing one speed session per week.

Realistically, until you're working on that base volume you should be getting more benefit from aerobic endurance. Once you're there you've got the capacity to build in more.

At present I think I'd like to see my 5k time improve before I try to improve my 10k time. My most recent goal was simply to be able to run the 10k, which I can now do, but I don't consider it completed until I run my 10k race. From there my next goal is that I would really like to run a sub 30min 5k.
    Unfortunately over the last month or so my ~5k that I run 2x a week and then 1 2x(same route, two loops) has gotten slower....