Help with weight/strength workout

I dislike weight training, a lot. I know I need to include it in my routine but I do not want my body to hurt so much to the point where I can't move. Any tips?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    No reason you should have to hurt like that. Follow a preset program and do what you can do, not 10x more. Pacing yourself while still challenging yourself is the key to successful exercise.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    How's your nutrition and rest? DOMS at the start a fairly common but subside as your body becomes accustomed to the stimulus
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    is pain the only reason why you dislike it so much? because if so, then there are certainly ways to mitigate pain. you may be attacking it way harder than you really need to, as well.

if there are additional reasons such as it bores you on top of the pain, then that's a harder problem.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited February 2017
    jesirey wrote: »
    I dislike weight training, a lot. I know I need to include it in my routine but I do not want my body to hurt so much to the point where I can't move. Any tips?

Get on a good, professionally designed program (there are many listed here). Start off with very light weights and very few reps/sets and ease your way into it. Jumping right in and pushing your limits hard from the start is a one-way ticket to not being able to move for a week without feeling like you're being stabbed by a dull, rusty knife that somebody dipped in acid and lit on fire.

A little achiness in the beginning from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is perfectly normal (and pretty much inevitable), but it goes away quickly once you work into a program and your muscles get used to the new stress.