Medications affecting ability to lose weight?

Options
Hi all - I am 15 lbs down!! Yippee. However, I have had to come off my HRT as it makes me bloated and very difficult to lose weight.

My weight loss has slowed down recently, despite going to gym a lot and eating healthily (around 1300 calories each day), no alcohol etc, but I can feel the benefits and have started measuring waist, bust, hips and thighs as an additional measure.

I have had to start my HRT again last night due to the incredible joint pains I am experiencing in my feet. I also take citalopram 20mg which really helps with hot flushes and mood, and I am wondering if this can slow down weigh loss or make it more difficult?

I have been on citalopram and HRT for 8 years since a full hysterectomy pushed me into surgical menopause at 36 years.....and since then have put on 3 stones! I am not blaming the meds, as I was terrible at not exercising, eating what I liked and drinking loads. However, whenever I have tried to lose, it is SOO much harder than it used to be!

Just wondering if anyone out there experiencing the same?

Replies

• readytobeatfat54
    readytobeatfat54 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with Timothy, while multiple medications can result in weight gain, ultimately it is still a CICO situation, especially if you have been on the citalopram for a while and have tolerated HRT in the past. You mention that weight loss has slowed down but that you notice positive changes in your body shape/size, perhaps you have developed more muscle with the exercise?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It can make things tougher, but you will still make progress. I'm on thyroid medication and an antidepressant; I did actually lower my dose of Zoloft to try to mitigate some of the side effects, and it seems to be helping. Trying a lower dose (in consult with your doctor) might be something you can do, or it might not.

Getting older also doesn't help. I'm in my mid-30's and never had issues eating and drinking what I pleased until recently. ;)
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I currently take blood thinners and they make me really tired. I am still able to lose weight and remain active because I'm very realistic...some days I am tired and I don't work out. Other days I feel great and I work out. I don't beat myself up if I don't go work out.

What remains consistent is my calorie intake. That never changes because that's entirely in my control.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Generally the older we get the less we move around incidentally day to day. We're just more sedentary than most of us were when younger, running around, meeting friends, going dancing etc that we did in our 20s. This is largely the culprit for us thinking it's so much harder to lose weight as we age but it's just being less active. There is some muscle loss with ageing, though if one strength trains this is largely mitigated. But those things are taken into account with MFP and TDEE calculators.

There are a few medications that can cause metabolic disorders but what you are taking aren't on that list.

So I'm afraid it comes down to really nailing down your calorie intake and being consistent with it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    DW was on a medication the doc said would cause weight gain, she gained 35 pounds. A few years later we started with CICO and she lost 55 pounds on the same medication.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    This article about citalopram and weight may be of interest to you:

http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/celexa-weight-gain#Introduction1

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add except for xi8u5vds81i1.jpg
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Generally the older we get the less we move around incidentally day to day. We're just more sedentary than most of us were when younger, running around, meeting friends, going dancing etc that we did in our 20s. This is largely the culprit for us thinking it's so much harder to lose weight as we age but it's just being less active. There is some muscle loss with ageing, though if one strength trains this is largely mitigated. But those things are taken into account with MFP and TDEE calculators.

There are a few medications that can cause metabolic disorders but what you are taking aren't on that list.

So I'm afraid it comes down to really nailing down your calorie intake and being consistent with it.

Absolutely 100% agree.

lizery wrote: »

A confusing article, indeed.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

So I'm afraid it comes down to really nailing down your calorie intake and being consistent with it.[/

lizery wrote: »

A confusing article, indeed.

The writing is a little disjointed - sure - but the message is not.

It basically states this antidepressant has been associated with different weight effects in various studies and that it may affect people differently. They also acknowledge that no long term studies regarding this medication and weight effects have been conducted and then go on to explain varied mechanisms that may be impacting weight in a person on this drug and other factors to consider if a person on this drug is gaining weight.

ETA: not sure what I did formatting wise to make my comment show as a quote.