Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    All in good fun, @sijomial and @AnvilHead. :smile:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ps. @NorthCascades your profile picture is a huuuuuge nope for me (like my heart is beating fast just looking at it!) But wow that is pretty cool that you do all that stuff, I guess lifting would be boring for you haha :)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    When you put a couple hundo pounds on your back/in your hands the excitement stirs a bit. Just a bit. ;)
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Cardio is what makes you initially makes you happy on the scale...lifting is what makes you happy when you try on clothes and long term on the scale. At least, that's how it worked for me. Even though I gained some holiday weight, my body still looks good because I never stopped working out/lifting.

And I like lifting with my trainer. If I go into the gym just to lift, I'm only going to stay 10 minutes because I find it VERY boring compared to Zumba, Spin or even the treadmill.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I find lifting to be exciting... :#

Me, too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I find lifting to be exciting... :#

Me, too.

Same. I hate cardio with a passion. Thank god i just picked up a bike. But i still enjoy lifting more than cardio.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    What kind of bike did you get?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1IBEGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aUkTybWJAF5TX

Cheap. But wanted to see if i enjoy riding
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Sweet! I hope you love it! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

@psuLemon
    Can I be the first to call you a cardio bunny? ;)
    That's a lot of bike for not much money - enjoy!

• psuLemon
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@psuLemon
    Can I be the first to call you a cardio bunny? ;)
    That's a lot of bike for not much money - enjoy!

Ha. It did exceed my expectation for thr price. I used to own a fuji mt bike but once i moved i stopped riding. But it introduced me to disc brakes and never want to go back.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I should also note, I have seen a lot of people upset with their results of doing just cardio. I have never seen anyone upset from doing only weight training or incorporating weight training. In fact, most wish they would have done it sooner.

This is absolutely true.

But the other side of the coin is no one has ever enjoyed lifting weights ever. Lots of people have had fun riding a bike or swimming in a lake or skiing down a mountain. People don't lift because it's exciting, they lift because it's effective.

I love lifting weights and yoga. It adds a new dimension and diversity to the cardio workouts during the week.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A different perspective.... Why wouldn't you?

Because I'm worried it won't be very beneficial for my muscles if I'm not giving them extra calories to recover

you can do it. i just found that past a certain point i never seemed to be getting those i-could-tear-this-place down kinds of days anymore. i could do my sets but i'd lose steam much quicker.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    But the other side of the coin is no one has ever enjoyed lifting weights ever.

heh. i don't like adrenaline. i actually like lifting though.

• jaimeolive
    jaimeolive Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.. in the past 3 months alone I dropped nearly 3% bf and gained 1.7kg lean mass while in a 2500 calorie deficit (per week). Inb4 mfp trolls results are based on In Body scan.. even as a female it is definitely possible to build muscle mass in a deficit with correct training, nutrition and supplementation
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jaimeolive wrote: »
    Absolutely.. in the past 3 months alone I dropped nearly 3% bf and gained 1.7kg lean mass while in a 2500 calorie deficit (per week). Inb4 mfp trolls results are based on In Body scan.. even as a female it is definitely possible to build muscle mass in a deficit with correct training, nutrition and supplementation

As an FYI, lean mass is more than muscle. It's everything not fat. Also, most of us full support the ability to gain some muscle in a deficit, especially while you are new to resistance training.