Hurt my back lifting--other core strength exercises?

Options
I'm a WAHM, on MFP and losing weight since July of last year. I had been doing some light lifting at home with dumbbells, because I don't have time or really want to join a gym. A few weeks ago I did some deadlifts (which I had been doing for a few months), but for whatever reason changed my form and hurt my lower back. I thought it would get better quickly if I laid off the weights, but it's hardly improved at all.

Sooo, any other ideas for core exercises? I haven't done any since hurting my back, but I guess I could try push-ups and planks?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would be weary about low back pain; you could be dealing with something more serious like a slipped disk. I would head to your doctors just to make sure everything is in order especially considering it's been continuously hurting even after rest.

If it was an injury as a result of the deadlift I can only assume that you lack the core bracing power to maintain a neutral spine during exercise. As you said, planks, supermans, prone cobras, hollow body holds, and more will help with this. I wouldn't attempt it until you see a doctor though.
  • ajlbookey
    ajlbookey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    YouTube exercises for low back pain, I know I've seen some on there before! Good luck! Hope you heal!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I second seeing a doctor/chiropractor. Depending on your injury, they may even get you set up with some exercises that will help/hinder.