Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

C25K- Do I need to slow down?

So I've been doing C25k for about a month now, but I've been totally stuck on week 4 for about a week and a half now. I've been struggling on the 5 minute runs.

The app I use to track pace/distance (Walkmeter) says my average pace between walking and running is about a 14:40 mile, and that my running pace is a 9:18 mile (~6.5mph). From what I've read on MFP, most people seem to run slower than this in the early weeks. Could this be why I've hit a wall? Am I trying to do too much too fast?

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    yes,slowing down is the key here. don't worry about speed,just run at a pace that is comfortable and enables you to do the runs.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    edited February 2017
    If you can't run the 5 minutes straight, then yes, you're definitely running too fast! Slow down - it should feel fairly easy.
    With that said, it sounds like something is way off with your app. C25K week 4 is a 5:3 run/walk interval. If your running pace, is really 9:18/mile, and your average of the 5:3 interval is 14:40, then that would put your walking pace at over half an hour/mile. Which obviously can't be right. So you're either running slower than your app tells you, or your average pace is a lot faster than your app tells you.

Regardless, I would try to speed up your walking, and slow down your running and see how it goes.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I definitely think that's the case. Generally the advice is to run as slowly as you can bear, even if it feels no more than a walking pace.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    You should be able to hold a conversation, easily with complete sentences, or be able to sing "Happy Birthday" while in your running segments. It's slow, it's meant to be slow, it will build you aerobic endurance and will get you to run faster when it's time.