Need advice from someone who knows what to do please! <3

i only weigh 114 pounds and am a female aged 18. i realise this is a healthy weight for my age however i have the problem of love handles which are really noticeable. it seems on discussions hat the only way to loose these would be a defecit to lose the fat but it's difficult to keep this up when my maintenance calories aren't that night because of my weight. i am confused what to do i just want to get rid of these love handles i've always had and have a flat toned middle. i do strengthening core excercises but this does not show because of the fat that is lent moving from the mid section.
someone please give me some helpful advice x

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Start a progressive lifting program. Just doing core exercises won't get you to your goal.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    Start a progressive lifting program. Just doing core exercises won't get you to your goal.

This. What you'd want to do is recomp. It's not a fast process but I imagine you'd see good results quite quickly initially.

There's a few programs you can do depending on where you fancy starting. Bodyweight programs like You Are Your Own Gym, dumbbell based work (some of the heavy lifting programs can be adapted), or "proper" heavy lifting like Strong Lifts, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • FitnessAngel11
    FitnessAngel11 Posts: 16 Member
    thanks guys reallly helpful
    just a thought do you think something like kayla itsines BBG program would not be intense enough in regards to the weight lifting/body weight side of things? @VintageFeline @cathipa
  • VintageFeline
    thanks guys reallly helpful
    just a thought do you think something like kayla itsines BBG program would not be intense enough in regards to the weight lifting/body weight side of things? @VintageFeline @cathipa

I'm not overly familiar but I think it's cardio based right? If you enjoy it, certainly feel free to do it but I'd also get on a more focused to your goals plan too. Generally the heavy lifting programs run a 3 day a week schedule of compound lifts so you can certainly supplement with other things in the off days.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Wear looser fitting clothes.
  • scjack6312
    scjack6312 Posts: 4 Member
    You need to add some muscle by weight lifting. Try doing some core excersises and continue eating healthy
  • FitnessAngel11
    i'm gonna start lifting 3x per week and try and fit in 2 hours slow cardio and maybe one hiit
    i'm gonna split it between legs, arms and full body but i'm just trying to figure out should i do height reps with low weights or high weights with low reps on these three days??? @scjack6312 @VintageFeline
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    i'm gonna start lifting 3x per week and try and fit in 2 hours slow cardio and maybe one hiit
    i'm gonna split it between legs, arms and full body but i'm just trying to figure out should i do height reps with low weights or high weights with low reps on these three days??? @scjack6312 @VintageFeline

You need to follow a proven progressive lifting program, not wing it. Stronglifts 5X5 is relatively simple, but gives terrific results. You can check it out at stronglifts.com. You can also download the app that will track your workouts , weights and progress. Makes it easy to get into the gym and get it done!
  • VintageFeline

You need to follow a proven progressive lifting program, not wing it. Stronglifts 5X5 is relatively simple, but gives terrific results. You can check it out at stronglifts.com. You can also download the app that will track your workouts , weights and progress. Makes it easy to get into the gym and get it done!

This. Don't wing it. You want to ensure you're not overtraining any muscle groups and are maximising results.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2017
    What height are you?
    I used to be bothered with love handles but I was over weight. As I got closer and closer to goal thats when the pesky love handles went - what really helped was lifting weights. (I'm not saying you need to lose more weight either, because at 5ft 2 I'm happy at 128lbs, slim with good muscle tone)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    p.s some clothes show them up more than others - jeans especially if they are low cut or the wrong size.
  • FitnessAngel11
    okay i am happy to follow a plan however i am only able to work out at home because gym membership is too expensive where i live
    however i do have dumbells going up to 15kg and a cross trainer.
    any advice because i've looked for so long to find a plan that doesn't use gym equipment but they mostly all do?? @quiksylver296 @VintageFeline
  • FitnessAngel11
    i'm 5ft 4 i just want to be more toned and lean because u can't hind under clothes in a bikini on holiday! going away with friends this july! @RunRutheeRun
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    then its time to do some strength training, its terrific how it shapes the body but it takes time to see results so best start asap :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited March 2017
    I've just seen your post that you have dumb bells- my home is my gym (have several dumb bells of varying weights up to 20kg each) and its been really effective, all it takes is consistency - I followed a few good youtube workouts to begin with, now I just do my own sets 3 times a week. Try Jessica Smith strength and Fitness Blender.
  • VintageFeline
    Yep I use adjustable dumbbells and Fitness Blender. I recommend programs largely because most people do go to the gym. They offer 4-8 week schedules for very little money (I think around $15).
  • FitnessAngel11
    i'm going to use kayla itsines bbg program but replace some of the cardio with weirght training. so i will do three times per week but i will extend the usual 28 min workout to an hour so this is where i want to add in my own excercises but unsure whether to do high rep or low rep @VintageFeline
  • VintageFeline
    Follow something that is structured. As I said, winging it on your own risks imbalances and injuries. Fitness blender combines bodyweight and dumbbells and pilates etc. They have cheap schedules. It covers everything.