Frozen meals are better than nothing....right?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Honest question: Why would you be "destroying your health?"

This was my first thought. What is it about frozen meals that YOU feel are destroying your health? What makes you feel that way? That's a pretty dramatic thought - is there something specifically you're struggling with about them?

Personally I think they're fine. Not very filling for me - but a great timesaver when needed.
  • susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I live on frozen veg and enjoy at least one frozen meal a week. There are great steam fresh rice, vegies, pasta around at the moment. I then add a piece of frozen fish. Really filling and around 500 cals or less. Just keep an eye on the sodium levels in some of them.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It isn't a horrible thing to do, they are just filled with sodium and not always the best of ingredients.

What about preparing your own? I got a bunch of Pyrex containers and once a month I do a cooking and meal prep day. I premake a bunch of meals and pop them into the containers and into the freezer for grab and go meals.

You could also make extra dinner and bring that along for lunch the next day, or even two days later to space out having the same meals.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It isn't a horrible thing to do, they are just filled with sodium and not always the best of ingredients.

What about preparing your own? I got a bunch of Pyrex containers and once a month I do a cooking and meal prep day. I premake a bunch of meals and pop them into the containers and into the freezer for grab and go meals.

You could also make extra dinner and bring that along for lunch the next day, or even two days later to space out having the same meals.

Did you read what the OP wrote in her posting:
    Right now, preparing and bringing food is not an option for me. It may be in the future.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's fine. If you have a need , though, watch the sodium.

I barely touch the things now, but I give frozen meals credit for a great deal of my progress.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think the Lean Cuisines and others like it are "full of sodium?" It's rare that I see one high in sodium. In fact, that new Campbell's YES soup had more sodium per serving that these meals do.

Now, I will give you the fact that things like Hungry Man, Stouffers, Marie Calender meals are really high in sodium.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'm usually tired by the time I get home, so I'll have whatever is on hand, which is often lean cuisine. They may be a little high on sodium, but I usually don't add any salt to my other foods so it balances out. My mom continually watches out for sodium content and there are a lot of healthy choice ones she'll reject (those are her go to meals).

They're convenient, they help me stay within my goal, and they usually go on sale every few weeks. Is it cheaper to cook my own? Probably. Do I get less additives by cooking, sure. I meal prep for lunch, I don't have freezer space to prep for dinner too (and I'm not eating the same thing for both).
  • jwhokie
    jwhokie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen Smart Ones for lunch everyday at work. They're tasty and easy to grab out of the freezer on the way to work and I've had good success losing weight with them. They're a heck of a lot better for you than going out for fast food. If it works for you, do it.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I also eat frozen meals for lunch most of the time. Depending on what you choose and what else you eat during the day there's no reason not to eat them unless you have a medical condition that would be affected by any of the ingredients. Like any other food, they contain macro and micro-nutrients, and some are a better choice nutritionally for the number of calories.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Why does everyone think the Lean Cuisines and others like it are "full of sodium?" It's rare that I see one high in sodium. In fact, that new Campbell's YES soup had more sodium per serving that these meals do.

Now, I will give you the fact that things like Hungry Man, Stouffers, Marie Calender meals are really high in sodium.

I dont think frozen meals are high in sodium when you compare them to healthy fast food options.....even a subway sandwich (with condiments) or panera bread has way more sodium than a frozen meal.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with this. I keep a few cans of soup on hand if the diner is closed or I didn't pack a meal. So much hype over sodium right now, but if you don't have a linked medical condition where this is a factor don't worry about this.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that freezing food can actually help preserve the nutrients. Personally, I think frozen meals are a great way to conveniently control portions and calories. No need to worry :wink:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »

Probably the same people that say diet soda is high in sodium and that's why it should be avoided. They probably never even look at the nutrition info, someone just told them they were high in sodium so now they repeat it...
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'll just throw this out there: If you're having homemade dinners, you could also bring leftovers for lunch the next day. Zero extra work.