Quick help please: Is my Moose of Boulder Basil Pesto moldy???

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I just opened this Moose of Boulder Basil Pesto and I've never had it so I have no idea how it should look but I expected bright green! Well it was kind of separated (like the oil) and it has specks of black throughout it but theres no pepper in the ingredients o_o It seemed to have a black or brown layer or something. It's expiration date is April of this year. What gives??? Has anyone tried this? Wondering if it's the walnuts in it or if it's bad?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Specks of black are probably basil, it loses its colour sitting on the shelf. It's normal for the oil to separate and sit on top, by doing that it's actually protecting the pesto from mould after opening by keeping the air out.

I doubt it's bad. Jarred pesto is not bright green like the fresh stuff. If it was mouldy it would have furry mould spots on it.

If you're still in doubt call the manufacturer and ask. I don't know what you can do about the mooses and boulders, though, those seem like they shouldn't be in there.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I would expect whitish fuzzy bits if pesto was mouldy. That's what's happened to mine if I leave it too long.

Black spots sounds like basil that got chopped a bit roughly. If it smells okay, it's likely fine. Especially since you're not even close to "best before" and it's freshly opened.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Go for the google to see if anyone else in the interwebs have had it, but I agree sounds like chopped basil that turned color. Look for fuzz, sniff for a bad smell.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Specks of black are probably basil, it loses its colour sitting on the shelf. It's normal for the oil to separate and sit on top, by doing that it's actually protecting the pesto from mould after opening by keeping the air out.

I doubt it's bad. Jarred pesto is not bright green like the fresh stuff. If it was mouldy it would have furry mould spots on it.

If you're still in doubt call the manufacturer and ask. I don't know what you can do about the mooses and boulders, though, those seem like they shouldn't be in there.

It's in plastic not a jar but thanks for the info. I do think I might contact them...
    I would expect whitish fuzzy bits if pesto was mouldy. That's what's happened to mine if I leave it too long.

Black spots sounds like basil that got chopped a bit roughly. If it smells okay, it's likely fine. Especially since you're not even close to "best before" and it's freshly opened.
    Afura wrote: »
    Go for the google to see if anyone else in the interwebs have had it, but I agree sounds like chopped basil that turned color. Look for fuzz, sniff for a bad smell.

it does kind of smell and even taste odd to me lol but I could just dislike it so there's not much way for me to tell and I am going to write the company to ask.