Heart rate and fitness

Options
I have a potentially dumb question, but I'd like to learn more about heart rate as it relates to exercise/fitness.

I've been doing cardio and a bit of strength training diligently for nearly 2 months. Before I started this routine, I was woefully sedentary and got winded walking up a flight of stairs. My average resting heart rate at that point was roughly 82 bpm, according to my smartwatch. When I first started my cardio routine, I'd regularly hit 150+ bpm during the intense portions.

As time has gone on, I've noticed it becoming much harder to elevate my heart rate to that level. Even though I continue to push myself when I notice things are getting easier (by regularly increasing the resistance on my machine, for example, or increasing speed), the most I can usually get to now is around 135 bpm. I also noticed my average resting heart rate has gone down considerably, to around 65 bpm. On the one hand I'm pleased, because that would seem to indicate I'm becoming more fit, but I'm also frustrated when I'm pushing myself during a workout and can't break 140 bpm.

So I guess my question is, what does that mean? Am I just not pushing myself as much as I was at the beginning, even though I feel like I am? Does it have anything at all to do with a lower resting heart rate? Does anyone have any tips to get to the next level when it feels like you've hit a plateau?

For reference, the machine I usually use provides a workout similar to a stationary cycle (it's technically called an elliptical by the manufacturer, but it's not; it's just the feet portion, and I use it sitting down due to balance issues). I started out using it around 30-40 mins a day at fairly low resistance, and now average about 90 mins a day at alternating medium/heavy resistance.

Replies

• MichaelJSwann
    MichaelJSwann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A reduction in resting heart rate and finding it harder to elevate your heart rate are both indications your fitness is improving.

I started with walking and then after some time started cycling. Now I've done so much cycling that walking at the same pace doesn't raise my heart rate as much as it used to compared to a couple of years ago. I now have to up the pace to jogging to get my heart rate up.

When you hit a plateau you have to up the intensity. You could add in some intervals to kick things along.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You may find it hard to hit max intensity on that machine now too esp as it seems some of your weight is supported by the machine. I have trouble getting over a certain speed on an elliptical, I think I can go faster but I havent quite got the right form as the machine starts to rock/move slightly so I am hesitant to push it anymore. So I kinda have a max speed which isnt as hard for me to reach now and heart rate doesnt go up so high anymore. My heart rate on a bike seems to be lower even when I put up the resistance although I am still getting used to a bike seat after so long so cant last too long on it yet.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    This just shows that you are getting fitter which is a good thing. My question is how far do you need to continue pushing yourself once you reach a certain level of fitness? When do you get to the point where you are satisfied without that continual push for continuing to get faster and stronger?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are two things to consider here: first-your initial exercise heart rates were less stable responses because of your low fitness levels. In other words, your body was a little out of control and so HR response was even more elevated that expected for an untrained person. So you probably saw a more enhanced "conditioning effect" than some others. Second, what you are experiencing is typical of exercise conditioning: a lowered resting HR and a more measured response to exercise.

How quickly HR becomes elevated during exercise is determined by: conditioning, intensity of exercise, and type of exercise. And, yes, your lowered resting HR does have an effect--someone with a resting HR of 65 will not see as high an exercise HR as when your resting HR was 85--even at the same intensity.

An exercise that involves smaller muscle mass and smaller movements will usually result in a lower HR increase than other exercise movements. The type of machine you describe will have that effect.

So, bottom line: your changes in HR are typical for someone who increases their conditioning; the type of exercise you are doing will make it harder to see the same HR levels as before; this is perfectly fine; you can continue to experiment with different combinations of resistance and speed, intervals, etc, to increase your ability to work harder on your equipment, if that's what you want.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    There are two things to consider here: first-your initial exercise heart rates were less stable responses because of your low fitness levels. In other words, your body was a little out of control and so HR response was even more elevated that expected for an untrained person. So you probably saw a more enhanced "conditioning effect" than some others. Second, what you are experiencing is typical of exercise conditioning: a lowered resting HR and a more measured response to exercise.

How quickly HR becomes elevated during exercise is determined by: conditioning, intensity of exercise, and type of exercise. And, yes, your lowered resting HR does have an effect--someone with a resting HR of 65 will not see as high an exercise HR as when your resting HR was 85--even at the same intensity.

An exercise that involves smaller muscle mass and smaller movements will usually result in a lower HR increase than other exercise movements. The type of machine you describe will have that effect.

So, bottom line: your changes in HR are typical for someone who increases their conditioning; the type of exercise you are doing will make it harder to see the same HR levels as before; this is perfectly fine; you can continue to experiment with different combinations of resistance and speed, intervals, etc, to increase your ability to work harder on your equipment, if that's what you want.

This
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    bee_bee8 wrote: »
    ... I'm also frustrated when I'm pushing myself during a workout and can't break 140 bpm.

For reference, the machine I usually use provides a workout similar to a stationary cycle (it's technically called an elliptical by the manufacturer, but it's not; it's just the feet portion, and I use it sitting down due to balance issues).

My guess is that you've simply maxed out what this machine is capable of. Cyclists have a saying "it never gets easier, you just get faster" but we carry our body weight up hills. Since you're sitting down and only moving your legs, you have only whatever resistance this machine provides, and even at the setting you're using now, it isn't enough.

Have you ever ridden a recumbent bike?
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

My guess is that you've simply maxed out what this machine is capable of. Cyclists have a saying "it never gets easier, you just get faster" but we carry our body weight up hills. Since you're sitting down and only moving your legs, you have only whatever resistance this machine provides, and even at the setting you're using now, it isn't enough.

Have you ever ridden a recumbent bike?

That's a fair point, and I have considered that. It's definitely a very simple machine, and it's probably inevitable that I'll outgrow it in terms of fitness needs. I have ridden a recumbent bike once or twice, I remember the workout being somewhat similar to what I'm doing now (but better, I'm sure). I'd love a more advanced workout machine, but space is very limited in my apartment :-/
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    This just shows that you are getting fitter which is a good thing. My question is how far do you need to continue pushing yourself once you reach a certain level of fitness? When do you get to the point where you are satisfied without that continual push for continuing to get faster and stronger?

That's an excellent question, and something I've thought about a bit already. Being healthy and fit is my #1 priority, but getting back to my goal weight is a very close second. At this point, a good chunk of my cardio is for calorie-burning purposes, so getting my heart rate up is important to me. Once I get to the weight-maintenance stage, I don't think I'll be as concerned with pushing my limits on a daily basis :-)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    A recumbent bike would offer almost infinite resistance because it would force you to carry your own body weight up hills; steeper hills offer more resistance. In effect, it's something you can't really max out, because you can either tackle a bigger hill, or a faster pace.

Folding bikes don't take up much space, but you said you prefer to sit for balance reasons. Sadly I don't know of any 'bent folders.

Running could be another option?