• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Pot pie was homemade, not really pie, just filling, biscuit was the crust
  • mol_cell_mom
    mol_cell_mom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary Fed Up on Netflix. This really motivated me to quit sugar (even hidden sugars). Also it looks like you have and addiction to carbs not just sugar. Someone about suggested a detox that might be a good idea. Good luck.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jeshutt wrote: »
    The sugar cravings pass more quickly if you try cutting out carbs generally.

I found this to be true for me too.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    jeshutt wrote: »
    The sugar cravings pass more quickly if you try cutting out carbs generally.

That's most of my diet. I try to cut both, and I know I'll fail before I even try
  • bee11mct
    bee11mct Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also one othing you can try perhaps : as you said, the afternoon and evening are the worst because you're looking for a dessert ( that's me again
  • bee11mct
    bee11mct Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ....i find when i plan on doing something right away after a meal it's easier to skip dessert.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Here's a good trick I learned from Vitruvian Physique. If you find yourself craving something you know isn't good for you. Go ahead and eat it, but first you've got to fill yourself up with something healthy and filling like brown rice AND you have to wait two hours.

Then...if you still want it...eat it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary Fed Up on Netflix. This really motivated me to quit sugar (even hidden sugars). Also it looks like you have and addiction to carbs not just sugar. Someone about suggested a detox that might be a good idea. Good luck.

Doesn't sound like she is overeating, necessarily. She's only 130. Before deciding she needs to give up carbs or take drastic means to manage cravings (let alone a "detox" which isn't really a thing), why shouldn't she just try eating in a planned, healthful, balanced way for a while and see if focusing on that helps break some bad habits/indulgences?
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 of the 8 week I Quit Sugar program and it has worked well for me. I know that some people can handle sugar in moderation but for me, this was a real struggle. I do much better now that I have cut fructose right back in my diet. I cut out all sugar from week two through to the end of week 5 which included all fruit. Week 2-3 were the hardest for me as far as cravings go but if you push through you will get there. I allow myself low fructose whole fruit every day but to be honest, now I only eat a small amount every other day because I don't really want it anymore.

If you really want to cut down on your sugar I would suggest finding a program that you can join and follow. I chose the one I did because it provided full meal plans, helpful resource information all in the one place. They had their own forums where you can ask questions and them be answered by Drs and dietician/nutritionists as well as normal people. This sort of structure really helps me to stay on track and I found chatting with other people that were experiencing the same symptoms as I was really helpful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Quitting sugar is hard for the first few weeks but after that, I found it pretty easy. I did miss fruit when I couldn't have it but now that I can have it I don't want it.

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I used to eat so many sugary things, mostly candy. Many years ago I went on South Beach Diet which, for the first two weeks, you don't have fruit, grains or pretty much anything with added sugar. It was a rough two weeks for me but after those two weeks were over, I didn't want them anymore. I still don't eat grains; I eat nothing with added sugar; and I limit my fruit to berries every once in a while if I am in the mood. My house is full, and I mean full, of cookies, candy and cakes because my husband and son love their sweets but I do not find them tempting anymore. So, I would try abstaining from all of the above for two weeks and see how you feel then.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Here's a good trick I learned from Vitruvian Physique. If you find yourself craving something you know isn't good for you. Go ahead and eat it, but first you've got to fill yourself up with something healthy and filling like brown rice AND you have to wait two hours.

Then...if you still want it...eat it.

oh, that's a good one!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

No. Do not watch this one sided "documentary" (I don't believe it even deserves to be called that) that is full of pseudoscience and cherry picked facts to make their point.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Riskay123 wrote: »
    I am on week 7 of the 8 week I Quit Sugar program and it has worked well for me. I know that some people can handle sugar in moderation but for me, this was a real struggle. I do much better now that I have cut fructose right back in my diet. I cut out all sugar from week two through to the end of week 5 which included all fruit. Week 2-3 were the hardest for me as far as cravings go but if you push through you will get there. I allow myself low fructose whole fruit every day but to be honest, now I only eat a small amount every other day because I don't really want it anymore.

If you really want to cut down on your sugar I would suggest finding a program that you can join and follow. I chose the one I did because it provided full meal plans, helpful resource information all in the one place. They had their own forums where you can ask questions and them be answered by Drs and dietician/nutritionists as well as normal people. This sort of structure really helps me to stay on track and I found chatting with other people that were experiencing the same symptoms as I was really helpful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Quitting sugar is hard for the first few weeks but after that, I found it pretty easy. I did miss fruit when I couldn't have it but now that I can have it I don't want it.

It's so refreshing so see fruit included in the list. It has always confounded me when i read posts from people quitting sugar, but then say unlimited fruit is fine :huh:

I'm not saying not eating fruit is a good thing, but when someone wants to reduce or quit sugar then I'd imagine fruit would be a no go too.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    From your pics you seem to be a fairly healthy looking young lady.
    It maybe you just are a sugar addict but in the end it will catch up with you.
    Giving up nutrition to get a sugar rush just isn't good policy.

First comes insulin sensitivity followed by insulin resistance.
    As time goes by it does damage to your kidneys and other things.

At the end of the day its all about you. It is good that you recognize that you have a problem with sugar.

If you can't control it you will have to give it up or face the consequences later in life and they are large.
    You aren't just going to stroll out of this and it will take a very concerted effort on your part.

I am sorry if I sound mean but I am maxed on Metformin and up until mid January I was taking half of the maximum of Glipizied. Trust me you don't want to go there.

Best of Luck.

• FelixTheRanger
    FelixTheRanger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I follow a low glycemic diet. There are lists of foods and their glycemic index that can be found on Google. Harvard Medical put out a really great one and all the info about blood sugar levels and how they effect our weight and our bodies to go with it. My doctor suggested this diet when he did my blood work and found out I was pre-diabetic (curse you heredity). I have found that if I eat as if I am diabetic I am taking in an astounding amount less sugar. Keeping blood sugar levels from spiking is key. Cinnamon lowers blood sugar levels as well as many other herbs, spices and foods. As for exercise, resistance and strength training workouts are best. The stair climber is in the same category. These activities ensure that the body keeps burning sugars even after you're done working out. A low sugar diet can be tricky. So many foods we wouldn't expect are filled with sugar. Read up, my friend. Once you have the information you need, it gets a lot easier. Good luck!
  • Ariliz23
    Ariliz23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was a total sugar addict and wound up getting really sick. I tried to quit so many times and could never get it to stick. I could quit eating sugar but was miserable and then would just give up and give in. I finally found a free online program that worked beautifully. It's been about fifteen years and yes, I still like sugar but if I have a couple graham crackers, a fruit popsicle, even blueberries or an orange, it generally satisfies me. Here's the website: http://www.radiantrecovery.com/addicted.htm
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I have a plan. I'm going to log all my food, and stay under my sugar allowance in mfp. See how that goes, and go from there. I do bodyweight training, as well as a little bit of running, and occasional horseback riding