Snacking junkie

Options
I have a tendency to pig out on chips at night or sometimes sweets while catching up on tv....any suggestions for healthy low calorie options? What is everyone else snacking on?

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I like those snap pea crisps. Chip-like but a smidge better for you. I was a big dork yesterday and split all the treats into measured portion baggies so I can't unconsciously eat the entire bag.
    If I am looking for a sturdier snack for a mini meal I like triscuits and cheese or avocado.
    Sweet I am totally smitten with Made in Nature dried mango with no added sugar (traders joes has pretty much the same thing) and pecan pumpkin spiced date rolls (at least those are my healthy picks)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Smartfood popcorn instead of chips (a 4 cup serving is 260 calories for the Jalapeno cheddar flavour, which I love)
    Baby carrots and snap peas (sometimes with hummus to dip)
    Pickles. Because a couple of pickles is enough.
  • elopez1998
    elopez1998 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, baby carrots, broccoli or almonds.
    I have the same issue and sometimes I'll just drink water using a straw? That's helped with my snacking habits.
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YES to those snap pea crisps...so good but I normally eat a whole bag lol. Diet jello, veggies, kale chips, popcorn, fruit. Or just a lot of tea if I'm over my cals already
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you like to snack you need to bank calories for your snack at night. Also baked chips are an option - for lower cal snack
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I save calories for snacking at night. I usually eat a bowl of popcorn for 100 calories and a cup full of m&ms for 200 calories. I have 4 young kids and night time is the only time I have to snack in peace. I refuse to give it up!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you do popcorn in an air popper and salt it, it is really low in cal - only 31 Cals per cup. That usually givea me something to work on. I also got addicted to frozen grapes. They take awhile to eat and have the natural sweetness.
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, seaweed chips, cucumber slices sprinkled with salt and chilli flakes, carrots, jerky
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have huge evening snacking problems and just recently discovered having a pickle pretty much eliminates the munchies! And for 5 or 10 calories it's guilt free! Last night I was struggling and I turned off the tv and went to bed and read while snacking on some snap peas. It also worked. The tv makes it very difficult.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I plan a "dessert" into my calories every night. Currently I'm hooked on Sour Patch Kids, but ice cream and chocolate happen often. Measured to the gram on my food scale.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to pig out on chips at night or sometimes sweets while catching up on tv....any suggestions for healthy low calorie options? What is everyone else snacking on?

I made it a habit (now) to not eat while watching TV. A large glass of ice water, and a little bit of distraction helps......crochet, adult coloring book, solitaire....whatever.

I do have an after dinner snack - light popcorn. I use a microwave popping bowl. A little bit of oil helps the topping stick. Lots of topping options (I like Kernel Seasons) ....spicy, sweet, etc.

For "chip" type options - Quaker Popped Rice Crisps, carrot "chips" or cucumber slices and celery. You can make your own bread & butter pickles with Splenda.