Do you ever get impatient?

Options
I'm on week 2 of sticking to my heath and fitness goals and still see no change. I feel different but still look the exact same. I keep telling myself to trust the process and to keep going but it's hard to stay patient! Can anyone else relate? How do you stay focused?

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of sticking to my heath and fitness goals and still see no change. I feel different but still look the exact same. I keep telling myself to trust the process and to keep going but it's hard to stay patient! Can anyone else relate? How do you stay focused?

Embrace the process instead of the goal!
    ;)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Trust the process, just make sure you're following the process correctly (weighing, logging, etc.). Then focus on following your plan and developing good habits. It will serve you well in the long run.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    YES I'm SO impatient. And I have a super short attention span. Add that up and what you get is me trying every diet known to man because they were only X weeks long and were gonna have these incredible results. Also the idea of losing only 1 lb per week sounded awful to me!!! I have to do this for a WHOLE YEAR and I STILL won't be at my goals?!? But this year I just mentally decided that I needed to be more reasonable and promised myself that I wouldn't worry it wasn't working until more than 3 weeks passed with no change. Now I'm 6 months in, 30 lbs down, and glad that I started and didn't get discouraged. It really helped me to focus on my weekly nutritional goal instead of daily. Then the time seemed to pass faster. Anyhow - don't worry . It will work. Just give it time. Just remember the "a year from now you will be glad you started today" quote. :)
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Weight loss is a slow process and even if you're doing everything right, it still takes time to see any progress. For me, I found other indicators of progress I can look at when the scale isn't budging. What's your exercise routine? For me, I started jogging. I'm trying to increase my 5K time. When I'm getting impatient waiting for the number on the scale to change, I can focus on my progress towards improving my time. I know I'm getting more in shape when I can finish faster, even while I'm only seeing small changes on the scale. So for whatever your exercise routine is, see if you can set some goals or find ways to track improvement over time.

I really like MFP's daily prediction too. I was doing ok losing weight and sticking to a calorie goal before I joined MFP, but I like MFP a lot better just because of that daily "in 5 weeks you'll weigh X" message. It's not as good as a number on a scale and it's obviously not a guarantee, but it's like getting to pretend I've already lost those 5-10 pounds and it's encouraging to see that number get smaller week after week.

Another thing that has helped a lot is adding a lot of variety to what I eat. Find some new (low cal) recipes that sound delicious. If you're looking forward to trying out a new meal, then sticking to your calorie goal doesn't feel like such a burden.
  • Pink_And_Purple_Wolfie
    Options
    Yes. It is torture sometimes how slowly it can go when you just want it all off NOW. Also very frustrating if you try so hard and do so good one week-put your everything into it-and still get no results that week. It really sucks. Sometimes I so wish there was a magic quick fix or a way to lose it all overnight but unfortunately there isn't, so you just have to be patient and try to stay focused on your goals and the reason why you want to lose the weight in the first place. Staying focused on the "why" is especially important-at least for me. I know how frustrating the process can be though, as many times as I've been through it. Believe me.
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

You've likely made process but just can't see it due to the fact you see yourself everyday so nothing would shock you too much. This can create a negative mindset. Just stay positive and keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine!
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I
    Myki3012 wrote: »

You've likely made process but just can't see it due to the fact you see yourself everyday so nothing would shock you too much. This can create a negative mindset. Just stay positive and keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine!

Totally agree with that right there.. Keep at it and you'll notice it sooner than you think.. Try not to focus too much on it. It's like watching a pot of cold water on the stove waiting to boil.. Watch it and it takes forever.. Your clothes will tell the best tale.. But that's MHO...
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Not in terms of weight loss, which has gone reasonably well, but in terms of my looks. The fat is not shrinking in an orderly way. It's squishy and jiggly. I don't have much left to lose, but I want it to stop jiggling at least, and it's driving me nuts.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Nivia Q10 with tea tree oil...
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks! I certainly do have the loose skin thing going on too -- not too bad, and probably only I notice it -- and I'll give it a try for that. But "squishy fat" is a different sort of problem, as far as I've been able to tell.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    All the time. I want to resort to my quick weight loss methods sometimes but I know that's not teaching me anything.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,031 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get impatient?

Yes, of course ... so I focus on other things.

During my first 16 weeks with MFP, I also went back to university to commence working toward a Master's degree. Working fulltime and taking one fairly heavy course at a time. A lot of work!

So I stuck to my diet and exercised regularly ... and focused on university.

When I finished the course and started preparing to go to Canada for a holiday before my next course, 16 weeks had passed and I had lost 15 kg. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us could say we haven't had lots of times on this journey when we weren't impatient...just keep going, trust the process because it works :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not really. My personality is kinda chill when it comes to long-term investments like health and fitness. I've never been in a rush. In fact, when I was losing (I've been on maintenance for over 5 years now), I expected it to take a long, long time. I was surprised when I got to goal more quickly than expected. It was almost anticlimactic. I needed to make new, far-reaching fitness goals so I had something to work toward long-term. I just see this thing as a life-long endeavor with no end (until they put me in the ground.) I enjoy the long, slow journey. But I'm weird like that.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    "I'm on week 2 of sticking to my heath and fitness goals and still see no change."
    lol, week 2, and already becoming jittery ... supposedly this is "a way of life", so might help taking up fishing as a hobby, as they claim it is a sport as well
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you don't have much to lose it will be slow... probably a half-pound per week. Start lifting if firming up the jiggle is your goal. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

It's toughest in the beginning. I always feel impatient for the first few weeks until the pounds start coming off or I see a difference in how I look or my clothes feel. You didn't put all the weight on overnight and you won't lose it overnight. I tell myself that (even though it's still hard).