Replies

• BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What needs fixing what is good?
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Work on ankle flexibility.. That way you will be able to go deeper without a butt wink..
    Good job. Keep it up
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Depth.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Might want to consider a low bar placement. It would help keep your weight mid foot.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree about ankle mobility, that seems to be an issue for you. I would also recommend feet about shoulder width apart unless you are purposefully trying to do a wide stanced squat.

Obviously you aren't hitting depth and I do see some weight-shifting (from one side to the other about mid-way out of the hole) which indicates tightness in the adductors and weakness in the abductors/glute medius.

Anyways, enough about that. Here's what i'd do:

Stretching:
    • Calf Stretch
    • Hamstring Stretch
    • Standing TFL Stretch
    • Adductor Stretch
    • Piriformis Stretch
    • Hamstring Stretch

Foam Rolling:
    • Adductors
    • TFL (more specifically it looks like your right side is tighter)
    • Soleus
    • Lat. Gastrocnemius
    • Bicep Femoris (short head)
    • Gluteus Medius

Strengthening:
    • Abductors: clams, abductor raises with bands, side fire hydrants, cable abductor later raise, seated abductor machine, etc.
    • Glute Medius: lying abductor raise with bands, single leg squats (pistols), single leg deadlifts, Clams, etc.

I have a sneaking suspicion when I see the weight shift, the wide stance, the lack of depth, etc. that you could work on your mobility in general. So while the above is the fix for this particular problem I would probably begin a whole-body stretching and foam rolling routine and i'd lower the weight on squats until you can fix these issues. You'll probably need to incorporate quite a bit of unilateral work until you've improved before attempting max range squats again.

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I agree about ankle mobility, that seems to be an issue for you. I would also recommend feet about shoulder width apart unless you are purposefully trying to do a wide stanced squat.

Obviously you aren't hitting depth and I do see some weight-shifting (from one side to the other about mid-way out of the hole) which indicates tightness in the adductors and weakness in the abductors/glute medius.

Stretching:
    • Calf Stretch
    • Hamstring Stretch
    • Standing TFL Stretch
    • Adductor Stretch
    • Piriformis Stretch
    • Hamstring Stretch

Foam Rolling:
    • Adductors
    • Soleus
    • Lat. Gastrocnemius
    • Gluteus Medius

Strengthening:
    • Abductors: clams, abductor raises with bands, side fire hydrants, cable abductor later raise, seated abductor machine, etc.
    • Glute Medius: lying abductor raise with bands, single leg squats (pistols), single leg deadlifts, Clams, etc.

I have a sneaking suspicion when I see the weight shift, the wide stance, the lack of depth, etc. that you could work on your mobility in general. So while the above is the fix for this particular problem I would probably begin a whole-body stretching and foam rolling routine and i'd lower the weight on squats until you can fix these issues. You'll probably need to incorporate quite a bit of unilateral work until you've improved before attempting max range squats again.

This is very good advice and a very professional one.

• BhangraPrince
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Stretching:
    • Calf Stretch
    • Hamstring Stretch
    • Standing TFL Stretch
    • Adductor Stretch
    • Piriformis Stretch
    • Hamstring Stretch

Foam Rolling:
    • Adductors
    • Soleus
    • Lat. Gastrocnemius
    • Gluteus Medius

Strengthening:

Excellent thanks
  • BhangraPrince
    Options
    I would definitely say my mobility is lacking. I always feel tight all over my body
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say my mobility is lacking. I always feel tight all over my body

Yeah, the thing is... if you feel tight in one area and start working out and are using altered movement patterns to compensate for the tightness you open yourself up for over-use injuries (think things like tendonitis, impingement, etc.) because synergistic muscles take over the load for prime movers. For example, a common one in men i've seen is shoulder injuries because of bench press.

So i'd start working on that, deloading weight some, and then build yourself back up with proper form. Once you've handled these underlying issues you'll notice you're lifting way more because the proper muscles are firing.

• merrysailor88
    merrysailor88 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I could be seeing things, but keep an eye on lock out and over extension of your knees.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed right off is that you're right heel is actually twisting in whenever you squat down. That in the future could possibly cause a knee injury.