How do vegans/vegetarians get adequate protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The soy/hormone question is a common myth, and there are a LOT of random websites that parrot it. There isn't clear scientific evidence to support the claim; in fact, we have a lot of conflicting research results, in part because it's tough to control for other possible causal factors in humans. The research we do have indicates that phytoestrogens do not necessarily mimic estrogen in the body. Source: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/02/12/straight-talk-about-soy/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    subcounter wrote: »
    1nprgr3s wrote: »
    Screen-Shot-2013-06-11-at-11.49.10-AM-e1371078980693.png

while broccoli vs steak has been debunked many times, it is also ridiculous amounts to eat 100 calories of broccoli. 100 calories of broccoli has roughly 8.4 grams of protein, while its 300 grams of it. While if you eat a 95% lean beef, you can get it from only 40 grams of meat, @ 54 calories. I mean yeah if you get a 60% lean fatty steak, I am sure the numbers could change.

Anyways back to the main topic, here are some options. Tofu has the highest protein content you can get as a vegan per calories. Lentils are personal fav's.

I did the calculations once. I would have to eat 26 cups of broccoli to hit my protien. I'm pretty sure even the dogs wouldn't want to live with me after that, and they're pretty gross.

OP, if you consume fish, that's another great source of protien. I have also made three bean chili and a vegetarian lasagna using roasted veggies that has a decent protein count (I used beans and three types of cheese).

the bean chilli lasagna sounds yum.. can you please share the recipe?

I will post it for you a bit later. It's really tasty, and I make it into individual containers, so I end up with 12 grab and go lunches for around 350 calories.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1nprgr3s wrote: »
    Screen-Shot-2013-06-11-at-11.49.10-AM-e1371078980693.png

How often do you eat hundreds of calories of broccoli?

OP, eggs, dairy (low fat would probably be better to get protein up without heaps of fat), beans/legumes, sprouted grain products, quinoa

Soy products, faux meat etc....

Add a protein powder if you're desperate!

On several occasions I watched my cousin eat a whole bag of broccoli. It was scary. lol
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It is key to remember that calorie restricting (what this app does) also means less protein consumption