Should you work abs while trying to lose weight?

Options
So ive started doing more abs/core workouts trying to increase my strength and its dawned on my is it counter productive to workout abs if your trying to lose weight? Wouldn't you just build up muscle under fat?

Replies

• uninc57
    uninc57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    At first yes, you will probably appear larger. I went through this phase when I first started lifting. However, increased muscle mass = more calories burned per day. Now the weight is melting off. I would keep at it.

The weight mainteneance/gain phase lasted around 4 months for me but I kept at it. Ultimately your body will be better off.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Exercise is never counterproductive. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it's good for you.

The mindset of "trying" is counterproductive. You lose weight through a consistent calorie deficit. You build muscle by using them and then resting, and getting in sufficient nutrition.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's never counter productive to do workouts/increase strength even though you are right and muscle will be developing under the fat. We can't spot reduce either but as you lose weight your muscles will become more visible and what's more, if you increase your muscle you also increase your calorie burn a little even at rest :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No, it's absolutely not counter-productive to strength train while losing weight. Why would it be a bad thing to build muscle under fat? When the fat comes off, you'll have some muscle underneath. How could that be bad? To lose fat, you need to be in a calorie deficit. If you are in a calorie deficit, it's difficult to build lean muscle mass anyway. There's little chance of you bulking up like a beast while you're losing fat in a deficit. But, strength training at this point is a great way to preserve more of the lean mass you already have, so you are at a better place when you do get your body fat down to where you want it. Just keep up with the strength training. When you get to goal, you'll be glad you did.

ETA: And don't just work your abs. Strength train your whole body! It's always strange to me when people train just one part (like just their arms) and let the rest of their body atrophy. I just don't get that. :/
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    You should definitely at strength training wile trying to lose weight and a strong core is going to help you with everything else.
    Core work is often overlooked but you definitely should keep strengthening yours.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not counter-productive, however direct abdominal work is unlikely to provide any aesthetic benefits. Your waist is unlikely to increase in size from muscle (but fat will make it bigger obviously).