Anyone with IBS D struggling as fruit & veg kicks it off help ?

I've had ibs d 22 years it flares up for different reasons one is when I eat extra fruit and veg and losing weight healthily means extra but it makes my ibs D awful where I'm not able to go far as toilet

I do vlcd meal replacements and my ibs is 80% better but I can't live in them as they make you ill

What can I eat to fill me up
Protien shakes aren't great also and I dont find chicken eggs etc that filling in relation to calories worth
Porridge is okay but that's quiet high calorie

Anyone else an ibs d sufferer and found filling foods that don't upset your stomach ?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I have Crohn's and am on a low residue diet (low fiber) and basically can't eat most fruits and vegetables. I basically eat a beige diet, white meat, potatoes, white carbs, etc.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    I have Crohn's and am on a low residue diet (low fiber) and basically can't eat most fruits and vegetables. I basically eat a beige diet, white meat, potatoes, white carbs, etc.

Is your Crohns symptoms under control well ok this ?
    I think I'm okay on those foods too I haven't Crohns but it rules my life doctors don't care tbh

• vjw221
    vjw221 Posts: 34 Member
    I have the same. I have found that timing and rotation help with vegetables. Like spinach on monday cant have again until Wednesday. This is always a set back for me as pasta potatoes and meat are the safest bets and dont make me run for the bathroom. They are also bad for losing weight.
  • size102b
    vjw221 wrote: »
    I have the same. I have found that timing and rotation help with vegetables. Like spinach on monday cant have again until Wednesday. This is always a set back for me as pasta potatoes and meat are the safest bets and dont make me run for the bathroom. They are also bad for losing weight.

It's a nightmare isn't it eat healthy then you can't go out and in pain :(
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I'm kinda controlled but not in remission. I am on strong meds as well which is usual for crohn's but I feel much better when I avoid my triggers.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I have celiac, but find veggies can do a number on me too. Especially raw veggies, which I prefer.

I eat a LCHF diet and cutting fruits and vegetables tended to help my stomach issues. I just don't replace it with grains and starches.

I like veggies, but I don't force them on myself anymore.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    You can eat any kind of food and still lose weight. You might need to take a multi-vitamin to help get some of the vitamins and minerals that you are missing by not eating enough fruits and vegetables. Is it possible to see a nutritionist to put together a plan that works for you?
  • size102b
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    You can eat any kind of food and still lose weight. You might need to take a multi-vitamin to help get some of the vitamins and minerals that you are missing by not eating enough fruits and vegetables. Is it possible to see a nutritionist to put together a plan that works for you?

I live in a small island where there's none I've looked online can't find one but yes I could eat a plan with little fruit n veg just they fill you up and are low in calories that's what I wondered what do I replace them with thats filling and low calorie
  • p6320
    p6320 Posts: 2 Member
    I have colitis and just before Christmas was in a bad flare that was also really painful. On 1 January I started intermittent fasting using the 16:8 method and it has totally stoped my flare. If I'm not in a flare I can eat pretty much all fruit and veg. I do have to avoid gluten, dairy and grains though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    size102b wrote: »
    vjw221 wrote: »

It's a nightmare isn't it eat healthy then you can't go out and in pain :(

Eating "healthy" isn't the same for everyone. The general guidelines for healthy eating are just that general. Any medical condition may alter what constitutes a healthy diet on a personal level.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Have you tried a fodmap diet? Both my sister and I suffer from ibs d. Mine is stress and hormone induced but my sisters is triggered by certain foods. Doing a fodmap diet has really helped her with her ibs and has actually flagged certain veg that she just doesn't tolerate such as onions. May be worth trying to see which fruit and veg do (or don't) work for you.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have ibs and, yeah, it definititely required learning a new way to eat. I used to eat far more veg than I do now. Some foods were staples that I rarely ever eat now, and even then only in small amounts and with bean-o.

For a couple months, I just stopped eating all fruits and vegetables to give my digestive system some time to heal. Those are my worst trigger foods. Then I added those foods back in very slowly, just one or two at a time and small servings. I've found a level that my body can handle. Although as we know, the lessons don't stop for good. ;):(

The veg/fruit that triggers me, may not trigger you. The worst ones for me are onions, garlic, cabbage, spinach, and kale. Apple juice is poisonous for me. AJ I just need to stay away from entirely; the other items I can handle on very rare occassions with bean-o. Eating them more often though or too large a serving...forget about it.

For other fruit and veg, I stick to small servings. I've also found the same is true for me as @vjw221 about needing to use a rotatation.

This is working for me, and I've been having far fewer problems with ibs.

Good luck, I know it can be a painful process finding a woe that doesn't make you sick.

• Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have IBS D as well. I can't have dairy and find that super high fat is terrible too. I finally found a brand of probiotics that have actually been extremely helpful. I've tried a million things too and these are making everything mostly under control!!!!!!! Stress doesn't help it!
    I use vega protein plus greens sometimes which is filling and most of the time doesn't bug me. I just focus on cooked veggies and minimal fruit but really trying to listen to what my body needs. Like everyone else said some things i conpletely avoid but its individual. Somedays it's just a banana others I crave huge salads and fresh fruit and am mostly ok! I remember doing a fruit and veggie cleanse and was in pain the whole time. So silly for IBS D.