British Pancakes

Options
Searching for "pancake" to enter in the diary and I can't work out which matches up with the British style ones - not the American thick, breakfast type ones. Shall I just go "crepe" (I'm not making crepes, they're pancakes)?

Banana pancakes are ALWAYS a disaster for me. Plus, I want old school proper pancakes.

Cheese and spinach for mains and sugar & lemon for pudding. Got some Nutella and golden syrup but not for me.

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I considered it but it takes soooo looooong for something I only make once a year! And it's dividing the ingredients into 3 adults & 2 kids or potentially 2 adult & 2 kids (mother in law keeps me on my toes as to whether she needs feeding or not).

Ah well, I'll give that a go!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I can't find anything in the database either.
    Shouldn't take too long to build a recipe ? Eggs,milk and flour.....then just log the sweet and savory ingredients separately. Or do a quick add?
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I considered it but it takes soooo looooong for something I only make once a year! And it's dividing the ingredients into 3 adults & 2 kids or potentially 2 adult & 2 kids (mother in law keeps me on my toes as to whether she needs feeding or not).

It takes me about 30 seconds to add an easy recipe. It shouldn't take too long if you are concerned about tracking accurately.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Or if you don't want to use the recipe builder, write down how much flour, egg and milk you use, divide the quantity by the number of pancakes you make and record the total for the number you eat.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Go with crepes.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

It takes me about 30 seconds to add an easy recipe. It shouldn't take too long if you are concerned about tracking accurately.

This. It really wouldn't take any longer to enter the recipe then to go through all the pancake options in the database to find one you like... Or just log anything since accuracy doesn't seem to be a concern.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I did a recipe builder entry in like 2 minutes. If you just want to quick add, I did a3-egg mix with 275g plain flour and 415ml milk (I use mugs to roughly measure then weigh the resulting amount!) And including some oil it came to roughly 150cals per pancake, with that mixture making 10 pancakes
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just did that with my pancake recipe. I put in how much I used of each ingredient and then the serving number was the number of pancakes I made. Worked great! I didn't want to select ones already in the database as many recipes I have seen add sugar to the batter and then cook the pancakes in butter. Some recipes even use tons of eggs when I only use one medium egg for 12 pancakes.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I used the recipe builder - it took about a minute but the delay was because MFP struggled to match 'Tesco medium free range eggs'. I then re-edited it once I knew how many pancakes I'd made. It was easy enough to add how many I'd eaten and what I'd put on them!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I used the recipe builder - it took about a minute but the delay was because MFP struggled to match 'Tesco medium free range eggs'. I then re-edited it once I knew how many pancakes I'd made. It was easy enough to add how many I'd eaten and what I'd put on them!

This really frustrates me about the recipe builder. You enter something quite specific and it says it can't find it. You then search for it again and it comes up with several items that match your description so why can't it find it the first time round !
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    How about using an entry for that ready made pancake mix they sell in the supermarkets this time of year.

Or

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2907669/easy-pancakes

Has nutritional information.

As it's once a year accuracy can slide a bit just best guess using one of the above methods.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I ended up doing the sums in my head. Logged a quarter of the whole lot.

Thanks for the ever-so-helpful holier-than-thou "if you want to do it properly you should be weighing every iota of food" replies. That approach always makes people think "wow, this person's so helpful albeit in a slightly judgey, passive aggressive kind of way."

• 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I worked this out yesterday!
    I made 12 pairs using good food guide standard recipie and 3 tablespoons sun flower oil. The recipie makes 8 so I did 1.5 batch got 12
    Plain the are 110calories and with 12grams caster sugar and the lemon they are 160 and that's a good sugar sprinkle
    Happy pancake munching
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    How about using an entry for that ready made pancake mix they sell in the supermarkets this time of year.

Or

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2907669/easy-pancakes

Has nutritional information.

As it's once a year accuracy can slide a bit just best guess using one of the above methods.

That's what I based it on but that made 8
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I ended up doing the sums in my head. Logged a quarter of the whole lot.

Thanks for the ever-so-helpful holier-than-thou "if you want to do it properly you should be weighing every iota of food" replies. That approach always makes people think "wow, this person's so helpful albeit in a slightly judgey, passive aggressive kind of way."

I don't think people were being like that when they mentioned you need to measure/weigh your ingredients. They were saying you need that info because when you use the recipe builder it asks you for the exact measurements/weights of each ingredient. You can't build a recipe without it. They were just letting you know that you'd need that info to build a recipe.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of holier than thou on these forums, but not in this thread. People were giving tips for how they enter and portion out homemade foods via the recipe builder.

I've weighed my baking ingredients for years to ensure accuracy (including salt, baking powder, yeast, etc.) This was long before MFP entered my life!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    "It takes so long to add the ingredients"

*posts a thread on an online forum to " save time".

I will never understand some peoples logic. Pancakes consist of 3 ingredients which can be found in seconds.