My cheap, easy, filling 1200 cal/day vegetarian diet!

Options
KeeperOfCorvus
KeeperOfCorvus Posts: 15 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'd like to share my super low calorie, cheap, yet very filling daily diet. My main food is ramen. I know! It sounds terrible! But the ramen I eat is not the typical American grocery find. I buy boxes (30 packets each) directly from an Asian market for 10$. Real Asian ramen can come with rice noodles, in duck flavor, with dehydrated veggies and always has several seasoning packets: dry seasoning, dehydrated veggie seasoning, and an oil/fat packet. I add lots of veggies to it, like spinach, green onion, fresh ginger, mushroom etc. It's a great soup base at 250 calories. I add lots of extra water to thin it out. Super filling!

Breakfast: big fruit bowl, lots of hot herbal teas
Lunch: Asian ramen with raw veggies
Snack: Apple and powerbar (for protein)
Dinner: one or two bowls of veggie and ramen
Snack: stove top popcorn with firukake seasoning and some salt.

(About 1200 calories)

I found that the suggested protein for women is 45+grams of protein per day. My meal plan here offers 20-25 grams. If you are vegetarian, you may want to add additional protein and/or supplements.

Anytime time I'm hungry outside of that, I eat more apples and more hot tea. I drink tea all day. I also eat pickles anytime (0 cal) and side salads with homemade dressings anytime. My dressing is vinegar, squeezed lemon/lime, a little olive oil and a little seasoning.
I'm never hungry, outside of battling my sweet tooth.
Try finding filling foods that are low in calorie!
Hope this helps ♡

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Cool. Do you log your food, and how much protein does this tend to add up to?
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Now I'm hungry for ramen, lol. I LOVE rice noodles so I'll have to check this out.
  • KeeperOfCorvus
    Options
    Janei, I get about 20-25 grams of protein a day. The power bar has 8 grams and each ramen packet has about 5 grams. Vegetables and nuts also contain some protein.
    I log all my foods. Although im new to this site, so I'm still trying to figure out how to maneuver it well
    : )
  • KeeperOfCorvus
    Options
    Ktekc, it may be... I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to get. I've been vegetarian, eating low amounts of protein for years, but I've never felt the difference, so I never thought to look at the required amount.
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Doesn't that put your sodium levels through the roof???

i was just going to ask the same thing!
  • goatsoapgirl
    goatsoapgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How many carbs in the Asian Ramen
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This does not sound healthy. Way too much sodium and not nearly enough protein or other nutrients.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How many carbs in the Asian Ramen

Vegetarians typically eat high(er) carb. The bigger issue is lack of protein.

Protein sources........
    Seitan
    Tofu, Tempeh and Edamame
    Lentils
    Chickpeas and Most Varieties of Beans
    Nutritional Yeast
    Spelt and Teff
    Hempseed
    Green Peas
    Spirulina
    Quiona

If you're not a lacto-ovo vegetarian .....dairy and eggs
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Pickles have no calories??
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

close to it. Less than 5 calories per pickle usually.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

close to it. Less than 5 calories per pickle usually.

Kind of like a cucumber? ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Unless you're exceptionally tiny, 25g of protein isn't enough. The RDA is .36g of protein per pound of body weight. Eating so little protein while also maintaining a calorie deficit means you're likely losing a lot of lean muscle mass. You need to incorporate more protein (probably about twice as much as you're currently getting) into your diet.

This isn't necessarily true.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It may be cheap and filling, but it in no way is healthy. Way too much sodium, almost no protein, you're going to end up with a lot of health problems.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ah-ramen. Reminds me of that kid in our dorm building that got scurvy when I was at university. Yes- some dude actually managed to malnourish himself enough to get scurvy.. we pretty much figured he must have been subsisting entirely on ramen and foregoing the free pizza at events (that other impoverished students usually jumped on).

At least add some beans (and a multivitamin). You are also most likely consuming a huge amount of sodium too (even when diluted extra).