Crossfit or no?

Options
I've been hearing many people say that crossfit is bad for gaining muscle. Is this true? I wanted to know since there is a crossfit gym really close to me and I wanted to try it. What do you guys think?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Depends on the box and what you're doing at the box. The box I went briefly was basically calisthenics on steroids. If you wanted to do the lifting, that was a separate session and focused more on compound lifts and Olympic lifts in a more traditional way...but it was completely separate from the WOD and cost extra. It was kinda fun, but not really my thing.

I ultimately opted for a traditional gym...I do primarily compound movements and Olympic movements, just not at a box and I don't race the clock for cleans.
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I did Crossfit for almost 2 years. I learned and regularly worked on all the main Olympic movements there as well as did a lot of other heavy lifts and some crazy intense (but often relatively short) cardio. I loved it, but after my gym closed and I moved on from it, I really became honest with myself that I was getting a little bigger than I wanted (probably some good muscle under a layer of fat I still had) and that wasn't my goal. The men at my gym had great physiques though IMO.
    I think you should certainly try it out!
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The box I went to had a couple days a week devoted to Olympic and compound lifts. They also had a separate workout for weight lifting that was an extra cost, so it was possible to get in 3 days of weight work. I enjoyed it and got really fit. Usually you can get a monthly membership; I've also seen 10 class cards -- so it might be possible to check it out to see if it's for you without making a big financial commitment.

As far as gaining muscle: I'm not sure why you couldn't if you're eating right and participating in the right kinds of workouts while lifting heavy enough. Really, I think it depends on how your box is run so there is no way to really know unless you try it.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit. And my muscle gain since starting is ridiculous. I guess it depends on the box. My box makes you lift heavy very often. Then you do the wods with a lot lower weight. And if you want to add to the weight lifting they also offer Olympic lifting sessions
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    When I did cross fit we did a lot of heavy oly lifts as well.

As a small woman I put on a little muscle but was also much leaner than I had been at other times.

The guys that trained there were pretty big, but most of them did extra lifting.

pxe6gkxdcz42.jpg

For body composition comparison, both these photos I was somewhere between 54-56kg.

Left - eating standard diet and playing roller derby

Right - doing the paleo crossfit thing

i3s3z3xtwabb.jpg

^ This was how my arms looked when I was doing crossfit. Keeping in mind I'm a small woman with usually not much muscle definition I feel like I put on quite a bit of muscle with crossfit.

• Gimsteinn
    Options
    o011p0xod37r.jpg
    3 weeks of crossfit changed my body alot.

sh82axy5chcx.jpg

Try it.. It's worth it and you should pack on loads of muscle
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

As a small woman I put on a little muscle but was also much leaner than I had been at other times.

The guys that trained there were pretty big, but most of them did extra lifting.

pxe6gkxdcz42.jpg

For body composition comparison, both these photos I was somewhere between 54-56kg.

i3s3z3xtwabb.jpg

^ This was how my arms looked when I was doing crossfit. Keeping in mind I'm a small woman with usually not much muscle definition I feel like I put on quite a bit of muscle with crossfit.

Love it. you look amazing
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »

pxe6gkxdcz42.jpg

i3s3z3xtwabb.jpg

Love it. you look amazing

Looked. They are old photos.

Now I'm that weight but kinda scrawny lol

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is to gain muscle (i.e. body building) then CrossFit probably won't allow you to build as much muscle as you could doing some other type of workout. If your goal is to get stronger, add some muscle, but become all around more athletic, then CrossFit probably would be fine. I've been doing CrossFit for about 2 year (less a 6 month break due to injury - not CF's fault) and I've never been in better shape or been stronger. We bench, squat (front and back), deadlift, clean (power and full), snatch (power and full), do tons of push-ups and sit-ups, etc. There is no way you won't get stronger doing CrossFit. But if your only goal is to look like Arnold, CrossFit alone won't do it. Here are a couple good articles that I think are fair -

https://www.t-nation.com/training/why-youre-mostly-wrong-about-crossfit
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/crossfit-apology
  • brettr23
    brettr23 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Depends on coach and program....I am a well known coach in my parts and its like any training you still need the right trainer who is smart

I am 6 foot , 213 about 10-12% bodyfat, squat 425, DL 550, ran a 6:15 mile all doing crossfit

And I like my look better than bodybuilding alone
  • brettr23
    brettr23 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Those articles mentioned are great also check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYAxLKJnqi_EFAgEiZ-xpdQ
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cross fit isn't only about lifting heavy, there's a lot more, pushing, pulling, running, jumping and my favorite, rope climbing. A lot of fun.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My son has gotten incredibly strong at a Crossfit gym. And there are guys in Crossfit gyms who look like cartoon superheroes. But they don't just do the standard Crossfit: Come for the hour/hour-and-a-half session, do some warm-ups, do a heavy lift, do the WOD. They spend more time than that lifting. But I have never seen a gym that didn't let you do that.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Cross fit?
    There's merit to it and I do burpees, tire flips, etc but I'm not a fan of the "general" crossfit that I see espoused by some gyms..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd never really say it's bad for gaining muscle. Depending on the box, you might not pack on the lbs like you would with a dedicated hypertrophy program. But it's definitely worth a shot to see if you like it and get the results you want.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I guess you could, but I suspect it'd be a better use of your time & money to do a standard hypertrophy routine in a regular gym setting.

EDIT: re: the cost. I just looked up the local crossfit affiliate. It's all classes so not directly comparable, but I don't want/need those. It costs ~10x more than my gym! Ha, yeah, no thanks.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bgmd88w09dr1.jpg

Results from a crossfit style gym. We focus on strength work first then wrap up with a metcon. Biggest jump came when a group of us started Brute Compete.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    bgmd88w09dr1.jpg

Results from a crossfit style gym. We focus on strength work first then wrap up with a metcon. Biggest jump came when a group of us started Brute Compete.

So crossfit makes you lose chest hair?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    CrossFit is really "a jack of all trades, master of none" kind of exercising. I've been to a couple of boxes - one for just a month, and the other for 6 months. What I witnessed was anyone who had good strength either was lifting prior to doing CrossFit or was doing CrossFit and a lifting program. I'm sure that there are boxes that had better programming than the ones I've been too, but regardless if your goal is strength CrossFit really isn't your best option IMO. If your goal is "overall fitness" than I'd consider CrossFit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Some of the people I've seen that do crossfit have amazing bodies and strength- they look really athletic and muscular, lean/ripped.

So I think it will depend on your goals and the physique or type of strength you want to build.

For me personally, crossfit is not my cup of tea. I prefer lifting/bodybuilding stuff to achieve my specific body aesthetic goals.