Reasons for increased appetite?

Options
Can you all give some reasons for greatly increased appetite from one day to the next? I'm not close to TOM but I am 2-3 days from ovulation. I've never noticed that increase my appetite though, only water weight for a few days. I did a long run Saturday, but that's been a few days and I ate back those calories.

I'm attempting to average 1500 cal a day, a deficit of 500 cal a day. i've been doing well the past couple of weeks, but I'm already almost to maintenance for today. That isn't that bad, I guess, but I'm just amazed at my appetite! I don't even have real cravings, just don't seem to get full and just want more.

Anyone know what causes this for yourself? Could it be ovulation coming up?

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Could be ovulation. Hormones can vary from month to month. So just because it hadn't happened before doesn't mean that's not the case this time.
  • tamjenks94
    tamjenks94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous comment! My appetite doesn't usually change during ovulation but the last 2 months have been different and I feel like I could literally eat the fridge and still be hungry.
  • MissHempy
    MissHempy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dehydration, hormones, stress etc. This is a good article about how the brain works with hunger feelings - http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/why-stress-causes-people-to-overeat
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Have a look at your diary and see if you have changed what you eat over the past few days - have you eaten less fruit and veg? More sugary things? Less protein? Hunger is very individual but these are the sorts of things that would leave me feeling hungry. Also lack of sleep, hormones, certain types of exercise.

If you can't see an obvious reason for it, you could always reduce your deficit and eat more for a little while until it passes.