Pasta portions

Options
Hello. Every time I search on pasta (thin spaghetti or penne etc.) it is always listed by ounces. I'm wondering why it isn't listed by 1/2 cup; 1 cup etc. I don't have a food scale and certainly cannot eyeball 2 oz! Anyone know how many *cups* 2 oz of pasta is? Thanks!

Replies

• sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I always have to look it up. 2 oz of dry pasta is equal to one cup of cooked pasta
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    On one option when i looked up a certain pasta i buy (thin whole wheat speghetti) it has 2 oz listed and then in () it says about 1/4 of a cup so thats what i have been doing. Although i swore i remembered the diatician i saw 7 years ago say that a serving of psta is a cup but who knows.
  • vicki9792
    vicki9792 Posts: 31
    Options
    Great question! I have wondered that many times. I did some searching and I think 2 oz = 1 cooked cup.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    sngnyrslp is right. Once 2 oz of pasta is cooked and you're scooping it up with a measuring cup, those 2 oz of pasta have expanded to be 1 c. Thank god. When I thought it was 1/4 I thought "no way I'm eating this again! 1/4 of a cup of pasta is all I get?!"
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I so highly recommend getting a food scale. You can find one for under $20. Trust me when I say I can shove a lot more pasta into 1 cup than 2oz. :wink: :laugh:
    Same with just about everything else. If I personally allowed myself to measure my portions by volume (cups) instead of by weight, I would very often be underestimating my calories. Probably by hundreds each day.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    that's a tough one. You're talking about weight (ozs) vs. volume (cups). Also, different pastas will expand differently while cooking. Unless you only use one type of pasta, making it a straight correlation will be difficult. I don't use my food scale often...but I ALWAYS use it for pasta since it can be tricky. I know I'm not much help, but there isn't a black and white answer due to the different variables involved.