Strength Loss during Calorie Deficit

Options
I'm not severely cutting weight, maybe 1-1.5 lbs per week, but I'm getting in weight territory that I haven't seen in over 15 years.

The last few weeks as I'm getting closer to my weight goals, I'm starting to notice that I can't finish weight lifting reps like I used to. IE - Bench 255 - my reps have dropped from 8 to 4 or 5. I've also had to drop weight on squats and deadlifts.

I guess this is normal and to be expected as I continue to lose weight? I suppose it's the trade off.

Any thoughts, comments or advice would be appreciated. I've tried upping protein to prevent strength loss, but I'm not sure that really helps.

Thanks - Scott

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily feel weaker when cutting, but definitely feel the a difference in energy levels.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've definitely experience a crash in energy levels, but only for short periods, usually after lunch.

Saturday's are my longer workout days at the gym too and I've taken a short nap afterwards the last two weekends. That's definitely not normal for me, I hardly ever take naps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's somewhat normal. How many sets are you doing? I drop a set first. Then reps. Last resort is dropping weight. But I'd rather up calories before dropping weight.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Options
    I do 4-5 sets usually, 1 warm up, then up the weight to the last set and then finish with drop sets. I've really noticed the difference in the drop sets.

I realize this is probably normal while losing weight. I started at 242 last summer and I'm close to 200 now. I want to get to 185lb before making any major changes. If that means I'm going to be losing some strength on the way, then so be it.

I'm thinking that in the early going, maybe my body was able to keep up since there was all my fat to utilize while I was losing weight? But now, there less of it? LOL, yeah, that's what I'm going to tell myself.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You could slow your losses a little to see if that helps. You're correct your body has less stored fat to utilise now so you may well feel a lot better with a few more calories and you won't "bonk" or lose as much strength during your workouts.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have had a couple of bonking episodes in the last few weeks. Where it seemed I gassed out instead of the actual muscles being completely fatigued. I think it was deadlifts.

Interesting

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Keeping the intensity (weight) high while dropping volume and/or frequency is generally the way to go. Helps maintain strength despite dropping body weight and caloric intake.

Bench is always going to be tough, it's the most bodyweight-related exercise there is (regardless of fat or muscle). Squat and deadlift should be okay though, in fact you usually can get stronger in them as your bodyweight is reducing (and thus the total amount of weight lifted). If those are suffering then definitely follow the advice I mentioned first. Doing lots of sets and/or drop sets are not really conducive to recovery and can lead to getting weaker in a deficit.

Just for example, while I diet very hard, I only work out 2x a week and I only do one set of heavy weight per exercise to maintain strength. It has worked for years. There's no way I could be doing 4-5 heavy sets and a drop set after that, and not expect to get weaker over time.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You might try adding a few hundred calories back and adjusting your loss to .5 to 1 lb per week. From your profile it looks like you have only 20-30 lb left to lose. This would allow you to keep losing but retain your energy.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You could also look into carb cycling so that you are getting more carbs on your heavy training days.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Even if you managed to lose strength while dropping weight your relative strength will likely rise. For instance, you currently have a 1500 lb total(bench, squat, deadlift) at 200 lbs, with 15% bodyfat. You're dieting your *kitten* off, and in a half year you are 181 with 6% bodyfat but only a 1450 total. Your Wilks coefficient would have increased from 432.66 to 441.909, meaning you're actually much better off & stronger...

So basically if the weight you're moving is staying the same but you're dropping a few reps your relative strength is actually quite good... I'd much rather bench 255 for 5 at 200lbs than for 8 at 242! That just me though...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple of bonking episodes in the last few weeks. Where it seemed I gassed out instead of the actual muscles being completely fatigued. I think it was deadlifts.

Interesting

One of the few cases where food timing can make a significant difference perhaps....
    Personally though I would reduce the calorie deficit to maintain gym performance and help recovery.

Good advice above from @DopeItUp

I would definitely drop the drop sets for now.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    What you're going through is normal, not to worry. I'd second those who said up your calories so you lose less weight per week. The faster the rate of loss the more lean muscle will be lost. It's easier to lose fat than it is to gain muscle so that might be something you could tweak if it's suits you.

I suppose you could up your carbs a touch for some more energy.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Options
    Yeah, thanks again. I did up my calories last week a little, not much. My steady weight loss did stop last week. But it's too early to know if that's an anomaly or due to increased calories.

I noticed the drop again during tonight's workout. Missing sets by one or two reps. I'm not really concerned yet. I think it definitely makes sense to reduce the calorie deficit. No sense in losing hard worked for muscle while trying to lose weight.

I appreciate the input