Iron

Options
DonM46
DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
The last time the Blood-mobile came to our office, they declined my donation due to my low iron. I started taking a supplement which provides over 300% of the recommended intake. To even things out, I just take one on alternate days, or maybe every third day.
Is this OK?
Should I take only 1/4 of a pill?
Can you get too much iron?
How long does iron normally stay in the body?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Until you hear from a doctor, instead of the pills, eat foods with iron: greens, raisins, dried apricots, . . .
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/manage/ptc-20266647
    Also, eat foods with vitamin C with those iron rich foods because C helps the body absorb iron.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    n3xaehx6cont.png
    When the blood bank told me that my iron was below their limit, I looked at my iron intake from food. Pretty low.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    isabellapanzica9387 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cheerios has half your daily iron in it. So try 2 cups of cheerios with milk. I had one cup a day for a few weeks and got my iron level up so I could be able to donate blood. Though its also not the end of the world if your low on iron so dont rush thing with the vitamins. Also to answer your question too much iron is dangerous.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It's probably worth going to the doctor and clarifying how your iron is (as per the blood bank people), and ever have a look into why it's low.

Your doctor can take it from there so far as management goes.