Finally went to the other side of the gym.

2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    a72e4ea2471b8d281c3f13bf94699cc7.gif

Right?!?

OP, your post made me smile! Welcome to the fun side of the gym!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Yes! This is great!

I go to a ladies gym, so I didn't feel quite as awkward going over to the "other side" (although when I first did, it was the "empty" side... now it's really busy too!). It's been a while, now, and I think you're going to be happy about the change! :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I guess Northern New Jersey is just so progressive, or what ever. The "other" side of my gym, the free weight and dumbbell section, has, at least, a 40% female attendance. Classes are another story, being mostly female, but the gym floor is pretty well mixed. Take a closer look, you may be surprised at the number of females lifting. In any event, there is truly nothing to worry about. Nobody is: "Sitting on a park bench..."

Meh- I'm outside Trenton- the other day I gleefully noted (and pointed out to my friend) that the whole free weight section was all women.

There were 8 of us? I think by the time I got over to talk to her there were 2 guys that wandered over- but really- it was all just women. it was kind of awesome.

OP
    I have wanted to do this for years but getting into it seemed like a huge mountain.
    it was only a mountain in your head unfortunately- but I'm REALLY happy you took the steps to cross over to the "Dark side"

the fun side- where we have cookies and barbells. it'll only get better :) and you'll feel really good about going in there and smashing things as you get more comfortable.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I go to a no-nonsense gym that actually caters to bodybuilders and those competing. However, because it is in a neighborhood shopping center, it also gets quite a few "regular" folks like me. And the great news is that the "other" side of the gym is an equal opportunity place where I go. There are just as many women pumping iron as men. Plus, the body builders will give you pointers if they feel you are doing something wrong. They gave me the basics but I also pay for personal training with the gym owner who is also a former bodybuilding competitor. I have been his client for 3 years and have never hurt myself.

Congrats on making it to the other side ... I bet you will fall in love with weightlifting. It gives me a sense of empowerment and makes me feel good after a workout.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,331 Member
    Ugh! Why did I read this? Ready to start Strong Curves and talked myself out of using my gym membership to train due to my discomfort at the "other side". Spent all last night and this morning pricing adjustable weight benches - even posted about recommendations minutes ago!! - when the gym is ACROSS THE STREET! You inspired me to rethink the purchase, but a bench is always good to have at home, right? RIGHT?! Haha!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    " when the gym is ACROSS THE STREET"

How much per month is the Gym right across the street. I go to RetroFitness @ $21.36 per month including taxes. My health plan at work pays me $20 for each month I go to that gym at least 12 times per month. But that just me.

What are your costs for what you want in your home gym/facility, not counting the space required. Now look at the "extra" stuff that gym across the street has that you wouldn't buy but would use if given the opportunity (treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, squat cage et.al.). Now is it more cost effective to belong to the gym or own your own stuff?

Understanding that people who go to a gym and use free weights are not monsters the decision becomes one of cost effectiveness and effectiveness in training. This decision is personal to each one of us but, unless your gym is populated by Neanderthals, the nature of your fellow gym attendees should not be a negative factor.

FWIW I do have a set of the 50# PowerBlocks and a bench in my basement for use when I want to.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    This post made me smile. I want to be you. Hopefully I can get my nerve up and do it too. All the same reasons why you didn't do it. People like me need to hear what people like you do because we're the same kind of people! :blush:
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,331 Member
    @pondee629

Hmmm. In in NYC, so my gym is $100/month! TBH, if the gym was all women, this wouldn't be an issue, and I'd be there 5 days a week - three for my Strong Curves workout, and two days for cardio (treadmill, bike, yoga, other classes I like for social reasons).

The weight benches I've been looking at are at max $300.00, but the convenience of a home workout was nice but not critical to my decision. It was the discomfort of the gym.

Having said that, I was surprised to see that some of the men training (i scoped the other side!) were actually doing what I was self-conscious to do - bring pen, paper, write notes, etc.

Sigh. I'll keep working on building up the courage, but like you said you have both the gym and your house as options?
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Loved reading your post OP. Everyone should do what you did with things they want to try but are afraid to do. Congrats.

This also reminded me to be nice to people who seem new and look a little lost.
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    a72e4ea2471b8d281c3f13bf94699cc7.gif

My thoughts exactly. OP, welcome to the dark side, you're going to fit in perfectly!