Eating clean, NOT working!?!?

Options
jmgabbard
jmgabbard Posts: 19 Member
Anyone else eating clean and NOT losing weight or inches??? I have only been trying this clean eating thing for a little over a week but have seen NO changes in my body measurements or the scale! Actually, the scale is creeping up! I'm lifting weights but have done very little cardio. I'm disappointed. I really thought cleaning out the processed food would make a big difference, quickly. :(

Replies

• PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Nothing happens overnight, its usually over a period of time that you notice it. A little over a week is a bit short to see amazing results. You should give it more time and concentrate on how you are feeling. The results will come, as with all things, with patience.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also remember that when you are lifting, you are adding muscle mass which will make the scale creep up a bit.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Yes, give it more time. If the weight is going up while eating clean that means you are having too many calories (duh!) You cannot put on weight with a deficit in calories even when lifting. It is either the fluctuations in water weight or you are eating too many calories. You need to give it more time and be patient before you decide it is not working.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The term "eating clean" had different meaning for everyone. Calories are ultimately what counts for weightloss... You can eat clean and still eat high calorie foods. And some people eat too few calories or don't get enough protein.

If you are eating more minimally processed foods (fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc.) that is great! Overall, given some time, you should feel better based on these food choices! It's really hard to assess any change only given a week.

It really is hard to tell what is going on without more information (how many cals your consuming, what foods you are eating, what your workouts look like, etc.) but the thing that caught my attention was the weights. I find when I'm adding in more/higher weights, my weight usually goes up before it goes down. Perhaps it's due to muscle repair process, but that's just my experience. Be sure to drink lots of water and get enough protein to support the weight work.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How is your caloric intake?

"Clean," "Dirty," or any other meaningless name...won't matter if calories in are not less than calories out.
  • jmgabbard
    jmgabbard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been tracking my calories. Everything I have read says there is no need to track cals consumed when eating clean. However, I have a VERY hard time losing weight so I think I may need to track. I do not feel I am overeating at all but I also don't typically lose anything if I'm eating over 1000 cals/day...which is not a lot but if I choose clean foods, it's plenty. I think I have a really crappy metabolism. Which is why I have increased my weight training, in hopes of boosting it.
    For me, "clean" foods are foods that are not processed and have 5 ingredients or less (for the most part).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Track your calorie if you're eating clean had no bearing on weight loss it's the calories that make the difference. If you don't know what you are consuming you cannot judge what is working
  • jennygeo1
    jennygeo1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when i first started. If i don't work out the scale drops, but when i start lifting/running it stays put (or creeps up). I freaked out about this a little but after 2-3 weeks my body welcomed the change in my diet and activities and the numbers on the scale dropped dramatically. I think when you first make all of these changes your body may hold on to extra water - also muscle mass gain (great in the long run).

Stick with it - you won't regret it.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    You def want to track your calories when eating clean, don't know where you read that but it is certainly wrong information. Most people cannot tell when they have consumed the proper amount of calories.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Too many calories is too many calories. You'll gain weight regardless of what you eat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is simply a choice you make of the kinds of foods you put into your body. It is not a magic formula to lose weight. It's more beneficial from a nutrition standpoint. If you eat 5,000 calories a day worth of carrots, you'll gain weight. Just as you will if you eat 5,000 calories at McDonalds.

If your only goal is to lose weight then you dont' have to eat clean, you just have to eat less. if you want to be healthy and maintan good nutrition, then eating clean is the way to go, but you still have to eat less. Or eat the proper amount.

I'm an eat clean advocate just fyi.. but reality is.. overeating of any food will result in weight gain.

also.. if you are lifing and such you might be converting fat to muscle, which will result in no weight loss, but inches lost.. which is just as good and is something to be happy for. use a tape measure to track this.
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    Not sure on everyone else, but so sick of the overused term "clean eating"
  • cheryhol
    cheryhol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning,. Since you are just starting why don't you try just doing cardio for now, at least for the next 12 weeks and then add weights into your plan. I did that the first time I lost weight and I lost 36 lbs in 12 weeks. All I was doing was walking everyday at least 45 min to an hour. Try this it works........don't give up it is a process.

Be Blessed!
    Learning to Eat to Live/Fort Worth, Texas
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not sure on everyone else, but so sick of the overused term "clean eating"

So am I.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Also remember that when you are lifting, you are adding muscle mass which will make the scale creep up a bit.

Uhh....No.

Adding muscle mass is extremely hard, let alone enough to make the scale move up. Even with "noob" gains.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You don't eat clean to lose weight or inches. You eat clean for better nutrition, to enjoy more delicious and satisfying meals, and to save money.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    One week?
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    Anyone else eating clean and NOT losing weight or inches??? I have only been trying this clean eating thing for a little over a week but have seen NO changes in my body measurements or the scale! Actually, the scale is creeping up! I'm lifting weights but have done very little cardio. I'm disappointed. I really thought cleaning out the processed food would make a big difference, quickly. :(

Lifting weights adds muscle (muscle burns fat, so this is a good thing). Muscle weighs more then fat, so you might gain a little weight at first, but you will be leaner in the long run. I suggest both cardio and lifting weights along with a healthier diet w/ out the processed foods. Also drink lots of water and avoid weighing yourself daily. Instead weigh yourself 1-2 tops a week.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Clean eating alone won't cause you to lose weight. It will make you healthier. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit. Make sure you are eating less than you expend.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Uhh....No.

Adding muscle mass is extremely hard, let alone enough to make the scale move up. Even with "noob" gains.

I agree, but if she just started lifting weights last week, there is a chance that her muscles are holding in some water as they try to repair the muscle fibers that were torn.

OP - Are you really sore from weight training? Or are you just doing light weights?

As far as eating clean (I personally follow your definition of 'clean', but I don't use it for weight loss - I just feel better when I do it), you need to track for a while to have an idea of what you're eating. There may come a time that you don't need to, but at first it's a must if you're trying to lose weight. You don't know if you are consuming 500 or 5000 calories. And consistently eating at 1,000 calories/day is likely what has slowed down your metabolism. I don't know your height/weight/stats, but that's an awfully low number.