Dynamic mode on treadmill - calories?

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
I work out at Barry's Bootcamp and sometimes during classes they ask that we switch the treadmill to 'dynamic mode' - i.e. the power is turned off and you power it yourself.

This is super heavy but I notice that the meter does not register a lot of calories when doing it. If I were to follow the machine, I'd burn much more just running with the power on.

I wonder if this has to do with the way the treadmill register calories - as in how many times the band goes around.

Anyone have experience with dynamic mode?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Tread mill calories don't tend to be accurate any way,
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know they are not entirely accurate, but I was wondering if they don't register calories from dynamic mode given that the treadmill isn't working "normally".

Dynamic mode is WAY more exhausting than running regularly, but appear with one third of the calories.

I have been starving all day after my workout (even after eating protein) and have been wondering if I burnt a bit more than, say, 260 calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    A lot would depend on the model; how does it sense motion, how it drives the belt etc.

I'm assuming that there are some treadmills that allow you to declutch the motor, in which case you're just moving the rollers. Once you're over the sticktion effect and you've got some inertia in the rollers you're probably then just moving your own bodyweight, but if the motor remains clutched in then you're working against the weight of the rotor and the braking effects of eddy currents, so it's near impossible to tell.