Countdown to St. Patrick's Day!

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Grafton Street, Dublin

l3m6zntxfega.jpg

So much more than a shopping street, Grafton Street is alive with buskers, flower-sellers, and performance artists. You will also find countless places to stop off and simply watch the world meander by. Café culture has taken off in the capital, and on a sunny day, you'd be forgiven for thinking you were in Barcelona or Lisbon. True, this is Dublin's shopping heartland, but there's no need to spend a fortune if visiting.

You'll find friendly, chatty service no matter where you go and be entertained from the bottom of the street to St. Stephen's Green at the top. Grab a coffee or, in the mornings, a legendary Irish breakfast at Bewley's Oriental Café. Take time as well to duck down the numerous alleyways and streets to see what you can discover.
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Kellog's Lucky Charms are magically delicious!

Have you seen the special chocolate ones?
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    @MIltonBradley1 This made me think of you and your love of kittehs

rgf5wvq8cpcq.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    The Ring of Kerry

9e7sxre8gsiz.jpg

If in Kerry, take the time to explore what is arguably Ireland's most scenic route, the Ring of Kerry (Iveragh Peninsula). Of course you can start anywhere along the way, however most set out from either Kenmare or Killarney ending, naturally enough, back in the same spot. The entire journey non-stop could take under three hours, but that's unlikely to happen.

En-route there's a feast of jaw-dropping Atlantic Ocean views, stunning islands to visit, wild sweeping mountains, and many picturesque villages. This area of astounding natural beauty boasts a range of outdoor pursuits including golf, water sports on pristine beaches, cycling, walking, horse-riding, and terrific freshwater fishing and deep-sea angling. For history enthusiasts, there are Ogham Stones, Iron Age forts, and ancient monasteries, all set against a canvas of striking landscapes.
  • cee134
    Options
    I live in Ireland. What do Americans do to celebrate it? Most that visit here tell us its an excuse to drink which is irritating haha.

Why is that irritating?

Yes, it's mostly a holiday for drinking. But so are most holidays it seems like. American's also love Cinco De Mayo and celebrate that too, and yes there is a lot of drinking on that day too. I find there is also a lot of drinking on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Let's not forget the 4th of July which is drinking and fireworks. There is also the Superbowl which isn't a holiday but there is a lot of drinking that takes place that day as well. Oh and Halloween.... I think you get my point.
  • hunnahs26
    hunnahs26 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Can't wait!
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Hey guys remember when it was valentines day? That was fun. We need a countdown to v day 2020
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    There's no need to speak to me like I'm some sort of half-wit. I was just asking as there are Americans and other nationalities with Irish relations obviously and I was curious what they actually do to celebrate it other than drinking. It's irritating because alot of people come over here and take the mickey out of our accents and aye they do use it as an excuse for drinking when most don't even have any knowledge or relations to Ireland. I have a right to say whatever I want. It would be like me celebrating the 4th of July or Thanksgiving, pointless as I'm not American.... I think you get my point.

There are Americans with Irish roots as well.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Fun fact: St. Patrick (the guy that is celebrated on St. Patrick's Day) wasn't even Irish. It's a Christian holiday that originated in Ireland and was brought to the US by the Irish where they made it the big drinking day that is now here. It still bases back to a Christian Holiday that is spread world wide.