Which Fitbit/tracker?

Options
Hi.
I'm thinking of getting a Fitbit or something, as I redefine sedentary these days.
I want a bracelet type, preferably with time (if I'm wearing a thing on my wrist might as well make it a watch).
My budget is lower end and my needs are simple - I'm not an athlete and I don't need 1000 apps on my wrist.
If you have one with heart rate, was it worth the expense? I'm not running any marathons and I don't have heart/health issues, so those considerations aren't relevant to my situation.

The Fitbit Alta is the lead contender, but if there's something better I'm open.

Thanks!

Replies

• zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Also: no need for GPS, and it needs to be iOS/apple compatible.
  • heavvheather75
    heavvheather75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my Alta - it's the perfect combo of watch and tracker. I turned off phone notifications and vibration reminders and it easily lasts 8-10 days between charges. Got a bunch of fun replacement bands from Amazon as well that are easy to change with my wardrobe if that matters to you.
  • arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have Fitbit charge 2, which is with HR monitor as well. I love it. It tracks my sleep and it tells me calories lost for multiple exercises. For me, 150 dollars was worth it.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just upgraded to a Charge 2 after having a Flex for 3 years - I chose it for the heart rate feature for two reasons: my uncle passed away at 33 from a heart attack, and I'm only two years away from that so I wanted another tool to help me detect anything weird so I can run to the doctor if needed for a check-up, and I'm trying to up my workouts/intensity and wanted more data (even if it's still somewhat inaccurate). I'm loving the Cardio Fitness feature and seeing it improve as I lose the weight and exercise more.

I think the Alta is probably more in-line with what you're looking for. I almost bought it, but I really wanted the heart rate feature. The Charge 2 is more "exercise" focused, versus the Alta which is more "everyday" tracking and monitoring. The Charge 2 is more bulky like a watch, versus the Alta which is slimmer on your wrist (and doesn't have to be strapped as tightly to pick up your heart beat).
  • hmhall85
    hmhall85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    arya8 wrote: »
    I have Fitbit charge 2, which is with HR monitor as well. I love it. It tracks my sleep and it tells me calories lost for multiple exercises. For me, 150 dollars was worth it.

Same here. Fitbit Charge 2 has really moved my program forward.
  • whatisthesymbolismhere
    Options
    I have a Fitbit flex. It shows no information on it at all. I'm not allowed to wear wrist watches in work so the flex fits into a clothing clip for when I'm working. This was a big plus for me!! The flex monitors steps, distance and calories so is pretty basic. There is an iOS app which I love and it syncs with mfp. Bonus! Once you get a Fitbit you're hooked.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit 2. It shows time/date, steps, miles, and calories burned on the unit as well as a lot of good info on the app. I bought it because I wanted something I can wear 24/7 including in the pool and this was the only one in my price range (around $100 or less) that was water proof. I also like the fact that I don't have to charge it, it runs off a watch battery.

Had a Fitbit Flex but didn't like the lack of info on the unit. I changed to Garmin when my Fitbit would no longer hold a charge.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You don't need HR for your purposes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You don't need HR for your purposes.

Exactly. Not to mention that the majority of wrist-worn HR trackers are inaccurate. If you feel like you want one, get one that straps to your chest and coordinates with your tracker via bluetooth.
  • ljaphillips
    ljaphillips Posts: 14 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since using my Charge HR 2 with MFP I have found it to really take my weight loss to a new level. I'm motivated and the link between MFP and the fitbit is great. For me the heart rate feature plus other stuff makes the charge HR 2 the go to fitbit. I now wear it all the time while my expensive watches sit in there cases...
  • walkerrita2
    walkerrita2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I have the Fitbit Alta. I love it. It tracks my steps which is mostly what I need as I have a daily goal. It syncs with MFP seamlessly, and it looks great.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge hr. It's an older model. I just received it today new from ebay. I didn't see any point in spending almost $200 for a newer fancy one. It monitors my heart rate. Counts steps and Calories burned. Which is what I need. It comes in different colors and was about $70 with free shipping on ebay. I got pink :) I love bright colors but they have lots of other colors. And I love it.it will notify you of calls if you set it to, but not texts. It monitors your sleep as well. I also feel like it'll be easier to sleep in than the ones that are more like big watches. So if you're on a budget it might be good. The reviews are good.with researched it beforehand.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Throwing out a recommend for the misfit shine. Low profile (has a time feature) runs off a watch battery, and waterproof
  • arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Can you get fitbit on your phone if so what's the best one? I have Samsung Galaxy s5 :)