Marinades- How to track?

Just as the title says, how do you go about tracking marinades?
Do you track the entire amount? 1/2 the amount?

I have no idea!

Thank you :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Never did...the amount that is actually going to stick to the food is pretty inconsequential...there's no way 1/2 the marinade is actually in or on the meat.
  • kylecpatterson
    kylecpatterson Posts: 38 Member
    I make my own, void of oil. Apple cider vinegar, peppercorn, spices, and veggies (garlic/onion/pepper). I'd avoid processed marinades.
  • kylecpatterson
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Never did...the amount that is actually going to stick to the food is pretty inconsequential...there's no way 1/2 the marinade is actually in or on the meat.

There is a caloric component, especially some of these corn syrup laden marinades on the market.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    If it is a marinade with lots of calories, you could weigh what you put in with the meat, and then weigh what remains after removing the meat.

I only make my own, so I generally neglect it as inconsequential. I will cut the oil back on any marinade recipe.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    I usually just add a tablespoon, rather over estimate than under.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 272 Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't buy pre-made marinades, this is one I've made myself.

It's:
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tsp brown sugar
    2 Tbsp rice vinegar
    Minced ginger
    Minced garlic
    Cilantro
    Green onion

It's marinating a 1 lb pork tenderloin.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There is a caloric component, especially some of these corn syrup laden marinades on the market.

Like I said...it's pretty inconsequential...there's not that much marinade sticking to the meat..but hey, what do I know...I lost 40 Lbs pretty easily 4 years ago and have been maintaining since.
  • kylecpatterson

It's:
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tsp brown sugar
    2 Tbsp rice vinegar
    Minced ginger
    Minced garlic
    Cilantro
    Green onion

Man you've asked a tough question. My best advice would be lose the oils and SUGAR so that the calories are somewhat negligable.
  • CurveAppeal86
    Alas, It's already marinating so I'm going to be eating it anyway.
    Meh, I'll just estimate. Thanks guys!
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Alas, It's already marinating so I'm going to be eating it anyway.
    Meh, I'll just estimate. Thanks guys!

Enjoy your dinner!!!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    I make my own marinades and generally bake the meat in the marinade. I use the method of say two Tbsp of marinade with the raw meat in a sealing sandwich bag. It gets all around the meat nicely without having to drown the meat in Tupperware or a bowl full of like a cup of marinade. I use the recipe builder to put in the marinade ingredients and amounts plus the meat. The recipe builder allocates the marinade calories evenly across each gram of meat. I know this probably over counts things a bit, but I'd rather over count by 10-15 calories than undercount.
  • Macy9336

It's:
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tsp brown sugar
    2 Tbsp rice vinegar
    Minced ginger
    Minced garlic
    Cilantro
    Green onion

Man you've asked a tough question. My best advice would be lose the oils and SUGAR so that the calories are somewhat negligable.

I agree marinades are for the purpose of tenderising and flavouring meat so they should be spices/herbs plus something acidic like vinegar, wine, lemon juice, etc. Adding oils and sugars actually inhibits the marinade from doing its job.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    OP didn't ask what KIND of marinade she "should" be using. Theres nothing wrong with some oil, sugar, salt, processed whatever in your diet.

Anyway, Id eyeball how much is left in the marinating bowl and pan after you pull the meat out. I usually estimate a tablespoon or two depending on how big my serving is and how thick the marinade is (how much is staying on the meat).

I wish I was having dinner with you!
  • kylecpatterson
    lilawolf wrote: »
    OP didn't ask what KIND of marinade she "should" be using. Theres nothing wrong with some oil, sugar, salt, processed whatever in your diet.

Anyway, Id eyeball how much is left in the marinating bowl and pan after you pull the meat out. I usually estimate a tablespoon or two depending on how big my serving is and how thick the marinade is (how much is staying on the meat).

I wish I was having dinner with you!
    Just as the title says, how do you go about tracking marinades?
    Do you track the entire amount? 1/2 the amount?

I have no idea!

Thank you :)

She asked how we went about it.
  • cwolfman13 wrote: »

This however if your REALLY anal about it you could weight the marinade before you put meat in and weigh it after. Usually tho as what I quoted said, its hardly any that actually sticks to the food.
  • CurveAppeal86
    Yeah, how you go about tracking, not how you go about marinating. :p

Thanks for the responses though, I've just estimated. 2 Tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of sugar in an entire marinade isn't going to affect me negatively or my weight loss goals but thanks for the advice! :)
  • This content has been removed.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    I estimate things like marinades and cooking oil, but I estimate high, just in case. I make note of how much I actually used, and after removing the food from the marinade/oil, I eyeball how much is left.

I try to be as accurate as possible with my estimate, and then I round up just in case.
  • Macy9336
    lilawolf wrote: »
    OP didn't ask what KIND of marinade she "should" be using. Theres nothing wrong with some oil, sugar, salt, processed whatever in your diet

For crying out loud, there is nothing wrong with providing a cooking tip. My advice had nothing to do with the morality of having a bit of sugar or oil and everything to do with making a marinade more effective at flavouring and tenderising the meat thus making the dish more tasty. It's no different from advice to add an extra Tbsp of flour to a cake recipe if cooking at high altitudes so that the cake won't collapse while baking.