For people with a unhealthy relationship with food--thoughts..

Options
Hi there,

Just a bit of background, I have never been diagnosed with an eating disorder. I have never been bulimic or anorexic, so, the unhealthy relationship I refer to is more related to obsession, restricting, binging etc. I am at the higher end of my healthy weight range (sometimes shooting up to 5lbs above) and have been since I had my first daughter. Basically since then I have been trying to get back to my pre-baby weight. I had some great success before Christmas and slowly lost about 8lbs which brought me into the healthy range.

I was feeling great, things were clicking etc. That came to a halt after the holidays and I feel myself going back into the obsession with food, when can I eat, restricting and then binging. I probably spend most hours of my waking day thinking about food in some way--and I am turning 40 in a couple of weeks! It makes me sad that as an adult I spend this much time on this.

Anyway, what I am getting at, is there a way for you to lose weight without HATING yourself in the process? Without it becoming an obsession and turning every day into a fight with yourself? If so, how? I know people that weight loss is simply math to them. It isn't that way for me and I don't know how to fix it.

I am in such a funk right now. Beating myself up for my failures and that for me, just makes me more likely to continue failing but damn if I can fix it.

Thanks for any comments.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Using a small deficit so that you don't feel as much like you are limited in how much you eat can help with this.

Similarly, if you exercise, doing an activity that you enjoy and aren't just doing in order to burn calories, makes a huge difference.
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do know that this is an emotional thing. Totally and absolutely. As far as formal therapy....I guess I have to think about that. It isn't something that is done in my family and I can't really see myself doing it. I do see the value, I will just need to think on it.

When I lost the weight I was logging..I really can't tell you what happened that make it work and what sent me back into crazy-land :) I just know at the time I was logging, eating a mix of healthy and no so healthy foods and just not beating myself up all the time. I wish I knew, i would do it again!

I will check out that Beck book from my library. I am open to anything at this point.

Storyjorie--thanks, our situations sound very similar. I exercise, I run probably 4-5 days per week anywhere from 2-4 miles and generally I like it.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.. I will do some thinking about therapy and will check out that book for sure.

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Definitely look at CBT therapy. It's not "tell me about your mother" therapy. It's about redoing the script in your head to make it easier to live well. Changing the things you tell yourself is both possible and helpful.

Take care of yourself! You deserve to be happy and healthy.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Of course I recommend counseling but know that's not always available so I'll share my experience/ how I did it.
    Analyze your media unfollow any thinspo AND fitspo, for some fitspo can be helpful for EDs its not.
    Make a conscious effort to follow pages/people dedicated to body positivity. What films and shows that showcase diversity in body types.
    I personally greatly healed my relationship with food by going vegan, I know this doesn't help everyone but for me between the control of what I would and wouldn't eat, but more so it gave me a reason to be healthy. Being healthy for my own sake wasn't enough but when I started to care about animals I wanted to be healthy for them so that people couldn't use my disorder as a reason for them not to change or to claim my new life style wasn't healthy, so I got healthy to be a good example and hopefully convince others.
    I still periodically struggle but haven't had any major relapses in 3 years.
    everyone's road is different but this is what has helped me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I suggest listening to @Look_Its_Kriss

I've read some of her posts where she describes her ED and how she has come to terms with it. She knows what she is talking about from her personal experience.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you already know that slow and steady is the answer. Then try pre-logging with a quick add of a few hundred calories per day that you can skip, eat or bank. May help add some structure to your plan. Walking also helps take my mind off food.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    As someone who did have an actual eating disorder (anorexia in my teens, bulimia in my twenties) what your describing sounds like food/weight preoccupation. It's very common and almost normalized in our society. I have dripped in and out of this way of thinking since recovering years ago.

I recently had a baby and I'm sitting at the high end of a healthy BMI, which feels uncomfortable for me. I also had to stay at this weight for a couple years while in recovery as dieting would be too triggering for me.

What worked for me to maintain a "thin" body (BMI of 20, size 4) without being constantly obsessed with food was discovering physical activities I really liked (lifting and cycling) and eating lots of healthy food to fuel my workouts. I burned enough calories cycling 150km a week to be able to track without being super meticulous and not have to stress out about eating out on the weekend. I also did see a therapist, but again my issues were more serious than yours.

This is a blog I like that discusses this mentality https://fitisafeministissue.com/ Good luck!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)

I'm interested in the bolded part. So, what is this difference that we should be thinking about?

• mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Using a small deficit so that you don't feel as much like you are limited in how much you eat can help with this.

Similarly, if you exercise, doing an activity that you enjoy and aren't just doing in order to burn calories, makes a huge difference.

This is a great idea
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've also struggled with eating disorder/food obsession due to emotional abuse that centered around food and body image growing up. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD which also explained the urges to binge (low dopamine). I've always struggled with my weight and I've always been at least slightly overweight.

Since getting on Vyvanse I've had no trouble managing my food obsession, except the few days before my period. I also used to do a lot of weird restrictive diets and I stopped doing that too. Right now my diet is called the "Don't Eat So Damn Much" diet. I eat whatever I want, just try to stay within my calorie targets. I set really easy goals for myself to keep it positive and if I miss one it's easy to catch up... if I didn't catch (and it hasn't happened yet in the past year), then I'd adjust the rest of the goals attributing it to poor estimation on my part, not failure.

I do have relapses sometimes but now I know the triggers so I restrict the problem foods until I've worked through the triggers. The medication makes this possible, before I was on Vyvanse it was a harder struggle. And note, I've got incredible will power, I wouldn't have made it this far in my life undiagnosed without that, and I'd been applying CBT and other behavior modifications. So if you do find yourself struggling despite your best efforts, there might be a brain chemical issue at play. That said, meds alone aren't the answer, you do need to use them in combination with CBT et al for maximum benefit so it's not a waste of time to go that route first anyways.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have the issues with stress eating for sure. I did good last year and lost 25 lbs by March and then summer rolled around and I gained a couple pounds and went up and down and by August when my oldest started high school I started to gain back the pounds slowly. By November I had gained the weight back and got in to that mentality that it was the holidays and I was going to enjoy them so of course I didn't try hard at all to lose weight. I had a lot of stress with her and other things going on around me and I let it affect how I eat and stopped exercising as well. It happens. I just need to remember this in the future and not let it mess me up again. I tend to let things going on in life around me affect me personally and shouldn't do it.