Replies

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Try a diaphragm! Seriously.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Sheesh... after reading this thread, I'll never again complain about shaving before going into the office.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I would like to know some honest opinions about the copper IUD from women who have gotten one. I would to like to try a hormone free option since I think the pill has been steadily affecting my weight (every time I go on the "sugar pill" for 7 days, I drop weight).

A few facts about me:
    - 31 years old
    - Been on the pill for over 10 years
    - Never had a baby or been pregnant

Tell me everything. The good and the bad.

I went on the coil at the same age due to Dr insisting my BMI was too high for the pill (after 16 years). The actual insertion was not so bad, I was chatting to the nurse about Game of Thrones throughout :lol:

The first 6 months were awful I will be honest, whilst on the pill I had very light 4-5 day periods with little to no hormonal side effects such as PMT/Cramps. My first 6 months on the coil (copper) I felt like I was being punched in the gut from the day before my period, up to the 3rd or 4th day in and it lasted 7-8 days. The flow was superheavy all the way through, one day I was playing rounders with friends (luckily wearing dark clothes) and I bled through a tampon, towel and my leggings which I had on underneath the jogging bottoms I had on. I couldn't exercise or go out in the evenings because the cramps would always start around 6/7pm.

On the bright side, the pain reduced the following 6 months and it's now 2 years since I had it and it's settled down, I get a bit of cramping (a dull ache rather than the intense ones) before unless I remember to take some ibuprofen, the flow is now light to medium and lasts around 5 days max. I also don't have to think about it again until 2020 which is another added bonus.

I do now get insane sugar and salt craving the week before which I never had on the pill but I just eat at maintenance calories for a couple of days and it's not hindered my weight loss too much.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    I love the dude comments. So childish. Not that I never make them, but this is not the right place for it. Respect the individuals discussing women's health without the locker room comments.

CC, please...
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love the dude comments. So childish. Not that I never make them, but this is not the right place for it. Respect the individuals discussing women's health without the locker room comments.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing. They must have a lot of time on their hands to troll (and keep trolling) a women's thread.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    becky3695 wrote: »

They do make for interesting x ray conversation.

I was at a different doctor's office, getting x rays of my lower back, and was asked if there was any chance that I could be pregnant--of course my answer was "no." He came back in with the developed films, pointed out my IUD, and said, "I guess you're right." :blush: