women age 50+ new to this

Options
Hi everyone! Not sure I'm posting in the right thread. This is my first time posting and day 1 on this site. My Dr motivated me yesterday to come here for support and help tracking my progress on this journey I'm starting. Was told yesterday my A1C is prediabetic and I have a host of other health issues a d honestly just don't look like 'me' anymore & feel crappy most of the time. I welcome friends on here who are feeling the same and/or have overcome that. I LOVE LOVE ME SOME FOOD!! Lol and do NOT like exercise BUT am ready to make changes! Not expecting perfection at all but progress! sooooooo hoping this post gets into the correct thread and am excited to make some friends on here so we can encourage each other. Feel free to add me because I can't seem to figure out how to add people yet...lol hugs!!

Replies

• prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hi Paige, I have been on this site for a while and I love the support. I just turned 50 on Feb. 1. I love food too, but I like the exercises that I do. Spin, zumba and Pound!!! I also do the elliptical and lift weights three times a week. When the weather is warm i like to ride my bike and walk. This is definitely a journey and not a race. I love junk food and was not willing to give it up so I learned to eat things in moderation most of the time lol. I am a stress eater so there are days that I over eat badly. You will have those days just start again the next meal or the next day. Don't beat yourself up there are going to be good, bad and better days. Don't focus on the scale. I like to measure my weight loss by the way my clothes fit. I do Weight watchers and it has helped when I am focused. Good luck to you and I will add you!!!
  • sillypacer
    sillypacer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Vada! I've tried zumba a couple of times and loved it....I plan on trying to stream some at home to do now. Very nice to meet you and sounds like you're doing really well.... thank you for adding me!
  • INeustaedter
    INeustaedter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi sillypacer! I'm 56 and started a pretty intense fitness and diet program at my gym on Jan 11. I too didn't recognize myself anymore and felt I had lost respect for myself. It was time to get back at it and I felt group support and guidance from a professional trainer and nutritionist was just what I needed to keep me in check. Winters are long, cold and dark and getting motivated to go the gym is tough! This group helped me immensely. I've only lost about 8 lbs but my clothes are a lot looser and I am so much stronger and toned than just 7 weeks ago. I cut out gluten (bread and pasta), starch ( potatoes and corn), sugar (including many fruits), alcohol and most cheeses. What's left you ask? All the lean protein I can get my hands on, bushels of sweet potatoes, leafy greens, legumes, oats, Greek yogurt, skim mozza, low fat cottage cheese and careful quantities of nuts and seeds. The funny thing is that since I cut out the things I thought I couldn't live without, I'm hungry less often, stay full longer, don't crave bread and pasta anymore and my energy level is well...level. I feel so much better! I'm also working out 6 days a week to build muscle and endurance. As we age, it's more important than ever to get the right nutrition to protect our muscles, joints and bones. Think of it as training for the next phase of our lives. We can be strong and independent or we can be weak and have to rely on others do every day things for us. I've made my choice. I think you have too. We are so much stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Women are amazing!
  • sillypacer
    sillypacer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes, absolutely! thank you for such great ideas and good for you on your weight loss! It makes a huge difference in even a few pounds when our clothes start fitting looser...... my first goal is learning what i CAN eat bcause everything I eat is very very wrong.... you gave some good ideas...... and drinking water and moving around more are two more big things I'm starting....you seem to be right on track....thanks again for your response .....it's a big help!