Fitness Advice

Options
A few weeks ago I posted asking for help regarding fitness advice and got some good feedback. So I have recently joined the gym and my goal is to build up my upper arm muscles, lose my belly fat and work on my abs. I am 5'10 in height and weight 10 stone.

My current routine at the gym is 3/4 nights a week for about a hour. I do 30 minutes on the cross/vario/elliptical trainer whatever you like to call it. At my gym they call it a vario trainer, I am not sure if there is a difference. I then do 15 minutes on a weight machine. The remaining time I usually do sit ups on a decline sit up bench, usually between 60 - 100. The weight machine I normally use is like a incline chest press one which works the upper arms and upper chest.

I don't currently drink protein shakes or anything like that, although I have been told to do so by a couple of people. I am also using myfitnesspal to sort my diet out.

I am really not looking to get ripped at all. Just bigger biceps and a nice chest would be super.

Any advice? Will I get where I want with this?

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to build muscle mass 15 minutes on a weight machine is waaaay to long. It will also benefit you to work your whole upper body rather than just two or three muscles, it'll keep you balanced looking as well as reduce your risk of injury due to muscle imbalances. I would also suggest free weights and barbells over machines as machines isolate one muscle at a time rather than multiple muscle groups.

Typically for weight training that has the goal of building muscle mass you want to shoot for 6-8 repetitions per set and complete 2-3 sets. You'll want to give yourself 1-3 minutes of rest between sets. Choose a weight that allows you to complete your 6-8 reps with good form, but you shouldn't be able to complete more reps than the 8. If you reach 8 and can still do 4-5 more with good form you want to pick a slightly heavier weight the next time.

As for the type of exercises, you can search on YouTube for good form and technique instructions. My favorite exercises for upperbody are:
    Pull-ups
    Pushups
    Shoulder Presses
    Reverse Flys
    Biceps Curls (supinations, isolations,alternating etc.)
    Triceps Dips
    Seated Rows (Bent over rows if you want to use free weights)
    Back Extensions

I would also suggest that you don't forget about your lower body. These are the largest muscles in your body so they provide awesome metabolism boosting when they get stronger, who wouldn't want to eat more food?? Plus, it'll give you a full balanced look to your body. If you're incorporating your legs there's tons of compouhnd exercises that you can do that are great for functional training, calorie burn, and getting stronger and leaner.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) Drop the situps. They engage your hipflexors. Actually most people that you see with nice abs, don't do "ab" exercises/routines. Abs come from lowered BF%. Everyone has them, you just need to drop the fat that is covering them.

B) Lifting won't make your muscles bigger. Heavy lifting + a caloric surplus makes your muscles bigger. Heavy lifting + Caloric Deficit maintains your muscle mass, so that when you finally lose the fat, you'll look bigger and have better definition.

C) Machines are OK, but they don't allow stabilizing muscles to engage. I'd look into moving away from the machines to free weights...IMHO.

We can't say if you'll get there or not without being able to check out your diary.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    -You have things in reverse. The 3-4 nights you're at the gym you should be doing about 30-45 minutes of weights & about 15 minutes of HITT 2-3 of those nights after you lift.

-Abs are made in the kitchen (sounds clique but it's true). Sit Ups are worthless. Anything you do for Abs that's not isometric should be weighted...and no, you won't get huge abs this way, you'll get results.

-Get away from the machines. Learn how to use free weights. You Tube is wonderful source for learning the lifts if you can't afford a good trainer to show you.

-What is your diet like - calories per day? macros per day?
  • andrewnd92
    andrewnd92 Posts: 21
    Options
    -What is your diet like - calories per day? macros per day?

This app has set out the following diet plan for me:
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,600 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 220 g
    Fat / Day 53 g
    Protein / Day 60 g

I usually come in not that much under each time. I most likely will need increase my Calories and Protein right?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is already at the lower end of normal, at 20.1. Weight loss would not really be recommended and what you should perhaps be focussing on is lowering BF% as you say you want to lose "belly fat".

To do this, your should be lifting weights, with a progressive overload program. Ideally free weights, doing compound exercises as these work the most muscles at once, i.e.:

squats
    deadlifts
    bench press
    over head press

Work out your TDEE and eat at a very small deficit, say 10% cut to preserve muscle mass and reduce body fat. If you want to then go on to build muscle, you will need to start bulking/cutting cycles where you eat above TDEE for a period of time to gain mass, then cut below TDEE for a time to shed the fat. Then repeat the process until you have the body composition you are happy with.
  • andrewnd92
    Options
    I wish I knew what you guys know. Not going to lie, a lot of this is just gone straight over my head.

Scrap weight machines as well as sit ups from my routine.

Should I continue to be using a cross trainer style machine though? I think I am correct in thinking that is a full body workout because its working my lower and parts of my upper body. However If its affecting my BMI and body fat levels then its pointless?

So confused.
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    I wish I knew what you guys know. Not going to lie, a lot of this is just gone straight over my head.

Scrap weight machines as well as sit ups from my routine.

Should I continue to be using a cross trainer style machine though? I think I am correct in thinking that is a full body workout because its working my lower and parts of my upper body. However If its affecting my BMI and body fat levels then its pointless?

So confused.

The cross trainer is a cardio machine, and usually it's personal choice whether to add cardio to your routine - it burns calories so if you are doing cardio be sure to include this in your exercise log or TDEE calculation and make sure you are eating enough to fuel it.

To get the most benefit from using a cross trainer reserach some HIIT (high intensity interval training) routines.

In terms of strength and musculature, cardio is not necessary as strength training is what is going to change your physique the most.
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    I'd also recommend checking out the Eat, Train, Progress group here, run by some very helpful and knowledsgable members.

ETA link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Work out your TDEE and eat at a very small deficit, say 10% cut to preserve muscle mass and reduce body fat. If you want to then go on to build muscle, you will need to start bulking/cutting cycles where you eat above TDEE for a period of time to gain mass, then cut below TDEE for a time to shed the fat. Then repeat the process until you have the body composition you are happy with.

I agree with this ^
    This app has set out the following diet plan for me:
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,600 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 220 g
    Fat / Day 53 g
    Protein / Day 60 g

No idea what you weigh but regardless you need to up your protein.
  • andrewnd92
    Options
    Thank you KarenJanine and Leadfoot_Lewi, you have both been very helpful.