formerly was on Calorie Count, made the switch

Options
Last year I lost 26 pounds using about.com's calorie count community, and was feeling very good about myself. I wasn't quite where I wanted to be but I was very confident that I could reach that point with my body and had made good habits to follow, etc.

Long story short, by husband was hospitalized for a week and I was very stressed for several months after that and my whole lifestyle went to hell. He has digestive issues now and has lost a LOT of weight, and is starting to have signs that he's not absorbing all the calories that he's been eating, so I've been trying to make higher calorie foods (focusing on nutrition) for him to regain some mass after all this crap we've been through. It makes it harder for me to restrain myself and eat how I want to eat, but we're seeing some progress on his part. We both decided to start going back to the gym now that his health is better (and increasing muscle mass for him would certainly be a step in the right direction).

I decided to go back to CC to start monitoring my caloric intake again because it was so helpful before, but then found out that they're discontinuing it, which is sad. So I've wandered over here and am trying to get used to the slightly different format, and don't want to pay for the premium so i'll give it a go.

I'm planning on just generally limiting calories to be about 100 calories over my BMR and quit drinking alcohol during weekdays (back to bad habits, gotta veer away again), and going and working out at least 3 days a week. Starting at that point, I'll see how much I have to change to get the results I want.

Anyone else come here from Calorie Count?

Replies

• txchics
    txchics Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes I was on CC too. I came over to MFP about a month ago. I like it alot better. Getting back into the swing of things too & I also ditched the drinking cause it was interfering with counting calories & making me too lazy to exercise, lol..Cheers & Good Luck!
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Same! This app has better features and a better database. Things always went off on CC. It wouldn't record my weight or the portions would go all crazy on things I'd already logged, etc.
  • theomalife
    theomalife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am here from CC trying to find others. Still trying to get used to everything!
  • theomalife
    theomalife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Btw, I saw a post say they have a group set up for former CC members: Community > Groups > then search "calorie count people". I'm about to try it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I hope you can find a way to set yourself up with a dietary regime you can live with in the long term, and suits you both. I'm so very pleased for you that your husband is well on the mend. I commend you in your efforts to support his health. If he continues to have absorption issues please get professional advice. I am sure you are giving him all the support you can.
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep, came here from CC. make sure you export your old data before it shuts down. I think mfp recognizes more food bar codes which is a plus. But the free version of mfp does not show as much info on minerals and such, but exercise (calories) are easier to handle, so its worth the switch.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Though I'm perfectly happy with MFP, it's sad to see other sites go under. The developed world needs an awakening about the need to track your nutrition and control your weight through eating right. The more sites, the better IMHO.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Though I'm perfectly happy with MFP, it's sad to see other sites go under. The developed world needs an awakening about the need to track your nutrition and control your weight through eating right. The more sites, the better IMHO.

Developed world collectively replies, "We'll start on Monday." :D:D:D