Coconut and Almond Milk - lower in cals, but worth it?

akmett
akmett Posts: 75 Member
I started buying almond milk (after joining MFP and realizing that it's half the calories of skim) but...today I read this article which makes me question my decision. I know there are a lot of you who started drinking the same and thought that I would pass this info on. Also, the article tells you how to make your own (healthier) versions.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/

Thoughts?!

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    how do you milk an almond? They don't have nipples
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Eh. I drink it because I think regular milk tastes bad. Plus it makes me phlegmy. So I will happily drink my almond milk.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    how do you milk an almond? They don't have nipples

diffusion
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I started buying almond milk (after joining MFP and realizing that it's half the calories of skim) but...today I read this article which makes me question my decision. I know there are a lot of you who started drinking the same and thought that I would pass this info on. Also, the article tells you how to make your own (healthier) versions.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/

Thoughts?!

I always make my own coconut milk and own almond milk. Store bought have too chemicals. Home made - water and almonds; or coconut and water or even coconut, almond and water. A lot cheaper too.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Gross.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Thoughts?!

You can't win for losing...everything is bad for you and you're gonna die
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    I love my unsweetened almond milk, only use it for oatmeal and cereal. Any experience in making instant pudding? I eat a well balanced diet so only the calories are my concern. I buy the unsweetened variety with only 30 calls per serving.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I stopped reading after "are savvy consumers who know enough nutritionally to avoid soy milk with its endocrine disrupting isoflavones and gastric inflaming phytates"

That right there told me the article was nonsense.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I tried almond milk, but then realized that it wasn't sufficient for my protein goals. My goals are to primarily burn stored fat and preserve muscle. To achieve this goal, I have to get as close to 1g per lb of lean mass a day. That puts me around or over 100 g of protein a day. Almond milk and coconut milk do not cut the mustard!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I fart a lot less drinking almond milk. It lasts longer too. I find that Coconut milk tastes too sweet and is kind of disgusting.

So go with Almond milk. My blue Diamond almond milk is only 60 calories for a cup. If I wanted to drink something with less calories, I'd just drink water.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    I stopped reading after "are savvy consumers who know enough nutritionally to avoid soy milk with its endocrine disrupting isoflavones and gastric inflaming phytates"

I avoid soy milk cause it tastes nasty. :sick:
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    interesting article regarding the vitamin and ingredient concerns but I'm still sticking with only almond and coconut milk until further notice.

I still buy whole milk for my son but won't touch it for me and skim milk is like buying white water with junk in it so to answer your question...

YES, they are worth it :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I would also avoid it if I thought it tasted nasty, but that wouldn't make the article less nonsensical.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    I tried almond milk, but then realized that it wasn't sufficient for my protein goals. My goals are to primarily burn stored fat and preserve muscle. To achieve this goal, I have to get as close to 1g per lb of lean mass a day. That puts me around or over 100 g of protein a day. Almond milk and coconut milk do not cut the mustard!

a cup of cow milk has about 7-8g of protein, compared to 1-2g for almond milk. You're worried about maybe 5-6grams? Do u drink a gallon a day? lol
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    I switched to Almond Milk as well. The trick is if you want the lower calories, you have to buy the unsweetened version. But even if you forget to check as I have a couple of times, you're still good as sweetened has the same number of calories as skim milk in that regard.

I now use it on cereals, in baking, etc. I started using it to lower my intake of Casein.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I drink milk.

The bovine version that has been consumed for generations.

I don't do replacement food.
  • UsedToBeHusky

a cup of cow milk has about 7-8g of protein, compared to 1-2g for almond milk. You're worried about maybe 5-6grams? Do u drink a gallon a day? lol

Actually no... but at the time, I did have a bowl of cereal for breakfast each day. I've actually since removed that and replaced it with oatmeal and protein powder. I still have cereal on the weekends and I will continue not to sacrifice 4 to 6 grams of protein for the sake of a ridiculous principle that our bodies aren't designed to digest it. I have no lactose intolerance... so I'm good.
  • UsedToBeHusky

I would also avoid it if I thought it tasted nasty, but that wouldn't make the article less nonsensical.

LOL! I know... I just wanted to point out that there are other reasons to avoid it besides over-sensationalized, scare-mongering garbage based on correlative studies that have never been backed by evidentiary experimental studies.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    already knew this, but what are you supposed to do if you dont have a food processor? or a vitamix? i cant make my own almond milk so until i can afford a food processor im going to continue to buy almond milk.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    synthetic vitamines are bad? rully? love my almond milk.. lots of calcium.... low cal..mm