Do I need to eat some of my exercise calories or all 1200 of my calories

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    mfp is known for overestimating calories burned. For a 200 lb person, swimming laps (not at race pace) for an hour burns maybe 600 calories.

She's doing 60 minutes of intense plus 30 minutes of moderate.

still not 1200
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Arguably the better a swimmer is, the lower the burn as they're more efficient than the average Joe.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member

We are of a similar weight and I get 630 calories an hour for Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort. Your 1200 calorie burn for 60 minutes of intense plus 30 minutes of moderate swimming does not seem out of the realm of possibility to me.

I only lake swim, and am limited to the summer. I eat 100% of my calories back. This does not impede my weight loss.

Definitely eat at least 50% of your swimming calories back.

mitch16 wrote: »
    mfp is known for overestimating calories burned. For a 200 lb person, swimming laps (not at race pace) for an hour burns maybe 600 calories.

She's doing 60 minutes of intense plus 30 minutes of moderate.

Intensity is relative.

But--she can either eat back 50% of the inflated value, or make the value a little bit more reasonable and eat back 100%--both are a means to the same end.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I am 201.5lbs and I need to lose 30 menopause lbs.

I am swimming competitively and have 1200 calories a day. I get an extra 1200 calories or so a day since I swim 60 - 90 minutes. I don't ever take all of those calories. Should I take some? I may take 100-300 extra calories those days. But should I try not too?

Here is what I eat during the day:
    Breakfast (before swimming): fruit bar - 220 calories - 8 g protein - 33 g carbs
    Snack (after swimming); smoothie - 310 calories - kale, fruit, p butter powder, tumeric, ginger, chia, flax seed, purple v8 (1/2 cup)
    lunch: 1 cup quinoa, broccoli or veggie, pea protein and cashew milk or egg
    dinner: 2-3 servings veggie and lean meat or fish
    occasional snack: 2 cups whole grain popcorn

tons of water all day
    maybe a cup of green tea
    maybe a tbsp of olive oil

Try eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories for 4 weeks and see how much you have lost. If you are on target, keep doing it. I am a swimmer (leisurely, not competitive) and I eat back 75% of all exercise calories from both swimming and walking which works perfectly for me.

Days where I am full and I still have calories to eat are the days I add more fat to something I am preparing or I treat myself to a glass of wine (200 calories for a 250 ml glass of red).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Thank you Faithful_Chosen. I like your explanation. I have made this change as a lifelong change in my diet, not a "diet" to lose weight for a short period of time.
    Because of my MS, I am eating foods that reduce inflammation and flare-ups. I would rather eat healthy than take more meds. I would love to get off of some of my migraine medication as well (quinoa is great for migraines).
    I have waited two years trying to lose weight and to no avail.
    I used to be a highly competitive lake swimmer and go to nationals for swimming. I want to do that again and I realize that is only going to take time.
    Although, I wish the weight would just drop away, I understand that that is not the healthy way to do it.
    I am constantly thirsty (my meds give me dry mouth). I drink tons of water and know my weight fluctuates throughout the day from water weight.
    I will add back 50% of the exercise calories it gives me with a balance of carbs and protein and fat.
    Thank you all.
    BTW, I have noticed some improvement with my swimming as well. That is a long road...

Particularly with MS, you shouldn't be underfueling. It's clear to me that you're already on an aggressive deficit (are you trying to lose 2 pounds a week)?

I'm glad you are going to eat more, and would suggest that you consider, if you are indeed eating at a rate that has you losing 2 pounds a week, to slow it down to a pound a week.

You have stated that you only want to lose 30 pounds. 2 pounds a week is more appropriate for people with larger amounts of weight to lose, and since you are looking to make a sustainable change, losing more slowly would be more in line with your goals.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    eeejer wrote: »
    you are not burning 1200 calories in an hour.

I wouldn't be so sure. I couldn't burn 1200 calories in an hour swimming, but I'm not a competitive swimmer. To give an impression, Michael Phelps famously eats 12,500 calories a day to maintain his weight while training. Just for the sake of argument, supposing him to have a sedentary burn of 3000cal, that would mean he is burning around 9,500cal in a day's training. Full intensity competitive swimming burns a lot of calories, far more than that burned by an ordinary muppet like me, even if I give it my best.

My opinion is that OP is eating far too little to support her training and will be compromising the muscle development she needs to do well in her sport by trying to subsist on what, for me as an average size woman at the top of the "overweight" category, would be a sedentary deficit of 750 calories. OP, you need to look at ways of eating more other than "force feeding" yourself. It rarely comes down to that, it's a question of including more calorie dense foods, such as fat and carbs.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It seems like you may have some prior struggles with disordered eating - is that an accurate assessment?

It is not accurate at all.

As a kid I got a fairly typical refrain of "Clean your plate" from my mother, but that's hardly an eating disorder.
    You have a very negative outlook toward food and the recommendation to eat back exercise calories. As I mentioned in another thread, no one is suggesting someone force themselves to eat to the point of discomfort - however, if a person finds themselves consistently under a calorie target including the exercise burns, and that person is an active person, they may want to look at the overall composition of their diet and try to incorporate some more calorie dense foods to help offset that big deficit.

And if my performance is where I want it (which it is), and I'm not hungry, I don't eat for the sake of meeting an intake number alone. If I'm hungry, I eat more. If not, I don't. There are days I have a surplus, even. Race day celebration beers, the occasional barbecue or party. So I don't worry about hitting the line every day because on the longer timeline I will even out. Athletic performance is a big deal for me. I'm forever chasing a new PR or increasing the distance I run. That wouldn't happen if I were starving.
    That is not a recommendation to shove junk food in one's mouth, as I'm sure you will misinterpret in my words. It is simply a comment that if someone finds themselves consistently under (or consistently over) a target - then it would be prudent to look at the targets themselves, the foods that are being eaten, and make sure that everything is aligned to the long term goal.

You did suggest that because I don't have a daily calorie minimum that I must meet every single day that I'm deprived by referencing Girl Scout cookies, no? All I have to say about that is that it's not deprivation to not have something that you don't actually want.
  • heiliskrimsli
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If I'm not hungry, I don't eat more. Doesn't matter if it's exercise calories or not, i don't feel an obligation to eat when not hungry just to meet an arbitrary number.

Just because you aren't hungry doesn't mean you don't need to fuel your body. Not meeting your calories and nutrients can lead to a higher rate of muscle loss, as well as a host of health concerns.

My doctor doesn't advise force feeding myself.

How many calories are you short? A tablespoon of peanut butter has 100 calories. An ounce of pecans has almost 200 calories. 200 calories of kale might require force feeding, but 200 calories of nuts sure doesn't.

Look, many of us need to lose weight because our hunger cues were off, which caused us to eat when we weren't hungry. This also goes the other way - we can be undereating and not feeling hungry.

If your weight loss is too fast for the amount of weight you have to lose, then you should eat more, hungry or not.

Short of what, exactly?

I don't have a daily minimum goal.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    @heiliskrimsli are you hijacking the thread o_O?
  • heiliskrimsli
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

I was called out directly by two different people, so no.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP with only 30 lbs to lose you should be aiming to lose no more than 1 lb/week AND you should be eating back some of those exercise calories.

For what it's worth I'm 5'2 and lost about the same amount of weight eating between 1600-1800 cals and I'm now in maintenance with a TDEE of 2200.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

I am swimming competitively and have 1200 calories a day. I get an extra 1200 calories or so a day since I swim 60 - 90 minutes. I don't ever take all of those calories. Should I take some? I may take 100-300 extra calories those days. But should I try not too?

Breakfast (before swimming): fruit bar - 220 calories - 8 g protein - 33 g carbs
    Snack (after swimming); smoothie - 310 calories - kale, fruit, p butter powder, tumeric, ginger, chia, flax seed, purple v8 (1/2 cup)

tons of water all day
    maybe a cup of green tea

First, you probably are not burning 1200 calories from swimming. How long have you been eating like this? Are you losing? If so, at what rate? I think your diet sounds good, but I'd want to know if you have lost weight like this. If not, then your calculations are off somewhere.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited March 2017
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

I was called out directly by two different people, so no.

When you come into a thread, with an OP eating 1200 calories and swimming intensely for an hour plus cool down/warm up laps of another half hour and say there's no need to eat to refuel that if you're not hungry, you WILL be called out because it is not just questionable advice, it's DANGEROUS.

Sometimes there is absolutely reason to eat even if you don't think you're hungry. It's not meeting some "arbitrary" number (spoiler, no numbers are arbitrary with the maths around weight management), it's ensuring you remain in optimum health whilst meeting nutritional needs and fuelling activity.

Why you are so vehemently against people being told they can and should eat more is really quite odd.

To add to this, the OP has a chronic medical condition that throws another monkey wrench into the works.

As another person with chronic medical conditions, I can't emphasize enough how important it is for those of us dieting while managing chronic illness to be mindful of not triggering a flare by doing anything too drastic.
  • GottaBurnEmAll

tons of water all day
    maybe a cup of green tea

First, you probably are not burning 1200 calories from swimming. How long have you been eating like this? Are you losing? If so, at what rate? I think your diet sounds good, but I'd want to know if you have lost weight like this. If not, then your calculations are off somewhere.

While the OP is likely not burning 1200 calories swimming, she:

1. Only has 30 pounds to lose, putting her goal weight at 170-ish
    2. Which means she's tall
    3. Which means that a caloric intake of 1200 is an aggressive goal of 2 pounds a week which is too fast a rate of loss for only 30 pounds
    4. Has Multiple Sclerosis, and needs to be mindful of not overstressing her body and triggering a flare
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Nothing personal but how do people over weight think they got overweight - if they weren't 'force feeding ' ? Then the ate high cal foods - you don't have to eat huge portions to get fat you simply eat too many calories :)

Confuses me once in calorie restricting they say I can't force myself to eat ????

If your over weight to start with you can eat more , personally I know once in the zone we can get scared if eating more incase we over eat.

As said you don't have to eat huge amounts of food to up your calories otherwise I'd never been fat as I dont eat large portions as ibs d I ate high calories foods hence I got fat ;)
  • heiliskrimsli
    veganbaum wrote: »
    They are genuinely trying to help others see that weight loss and maintenance do not need to be as difficult and miserable as some believe and that food is fuel, but you can also eat some for pleasure if so desired and still reach your goals.

I didn't suggest anyone should be miserable. On the contrary, all I have said is that not everyone who eats less than you think they should is miserable.