Where weight loss stops, it stops. Or?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Couple of points to add:
    1. What the calculators tell you is based on averages (the mean) from study populations. Most people are close to the average (small standard deviation). If your current weight loss includes accurate food/exercise logging, you already know whether your weight loss rate corresponds with the rate predicted by the calorie estimating calculators. If it does, the calculated maintenance should be close, too.

For the same underlying reasons, other tall people's experience with their maintenance calories doesn't necessarily tell you anything about yours, either, beyond the fact that there's a range of possible caloric requirements for any one size of person, even if not a hugely broad range for most people. (A few people will be extreme outliers - I'm off by around 25-30% from the calculators - but not many.)
    2. I'm sure it's obvious, but as you approach your new goal weight, you'll start to get a pretty good idea whether that's the right target or not, and can adjust up or down. We haven't signed a contract. ;)
    Best wishes for continued success!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    That's how I did it (it stops where it stops). I didn't count calories but since I had maintained a healthy weight for decades as an adult I just tried to eat how I ate then and I lost until I stopped losing.

I wasn't positive that I was eating like before but I figured if I wasn't happy I could always readjust.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Weight is a subjective number. What you have to do is be happy with yourself when you look in the mirror.

Just to give you an example of what I mean by weight is a subjective number. I'm a 56 year old male height is 6 feet 4 inches. My current weight is 208, according to the BMI index I'm considered overweight for me to be what they consider normal range, I should weigh 154 to 205 pounds. Putting it mildly me at 154 pounds I would look anorexic.