Diabetic Meal Prep ideas

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
My recently widowed elderly mother in law is hoping to stay living at her home alone but she's still recovering from the flu and doesn't get around super well. We are visiting her this weekend and I wanted to make some meals for her that she can freeze and reheat. She's on a lot of meds and is diabetic. Anyone have any ideas for vegetable sides and main dishes? I'm not a great cook but am decent, especially if I have a recipe, lol.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What does she like?
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    She'll eat anything.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I was hoping more for help with the logistics? Like, how best to freeze complete meals, in Tupperware or....? And still just not sure of many good vegetable sides, all I can think of is green bean casserole and/or roasted broccoli.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Those sides are good for a diabetic. All she needs now is a meat to go with it. Frozen fish or meat that can go in the toaster oven are good. An egg casserole would be fine.

I would mainly avoid starchy fillers like noodles, rice, potatoes, bread, grains and such.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about signing her up for Meals on Wheels?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I was hoping more for help with the logistics? Like, how best to freeze complete meals, in Tupperware or....? And still just not sure of many good vegetable sides, all I can think of is green bean casserole and/or roasted broccoli.
    A lot of people I know who meal prep use those disposable plastic containers that they buy in bulk.

As for other veggies, I often cook asparagus and artichokes ahead of time and then eat them for meals. I'm not sure green bean casserole is the best unless you really double check what you put into it. But simpler green beans, broccoli, califlower, or squash would be good.
  • reducinglisa
    reducinglisa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As I do, I suggest making batches of cooked veggies and add them to the defrosted meals when needed.