Measuring Food Help??

Options

Hi Guys...
I need some help understanding how to measure food properly on a food scale. Here are my questions:

1. Do you measure your food AND log them in MFP (raw meat/chicken, rice, veggies...etc.) cooked or uncooked?

2. How do you measure your food on a food scale? Do you zero out the scale with a bowl on top of it and put the meat or whatever you're eating in it and figure it out that way?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    1. Uncooked is usually suggested, but as long as you log them the way you weighed them (cooked or uncooked) it will be fine. I personally do cooked, because I'm cooking for the whole family and it's easier.

2. Depends on what I'm weighing. Peanut butter - I'll put the whole jar on the scale, tare it to zero, take out the peanut butter I use and log the amount (it will show as a negative, but log as a positive number). Dinner - I just throw my plate on the scale, add the meat, tare, add the veggie, tare, add the whatever, tare, etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1. Raw whenever possible - but whichever way you choose be sure to pick the corresponding entry from the database (cooked for cooked - raw for raw)
    2. Exactly.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I always measure my food raw. A lot of foods lose their weight when cooked. For instance, last night I cooked 1.5 pounds of chicken (24oz) When I weighed it after it was cooked, it was only 15oz. Since the nutrition label is for 4oz of uncooked chicken, it's better to go by that. The same goes for a lot of other foods like meat, veggies, and grains.

• JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I weigh cooked food only.

I put plate/bowl/Tupperware on scale and zero, add meat the zero, add side then zero, add another side zero.

I either plug these in MFP then or write it down and do it later. MFP remembers serving sizes so the next time you can just select it and it will be ready.

Once you do this for a while you can pretty much eyeball food at other places you eat and add them in.