Fro yo!

Options
CattOfTheGarage
CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
edited March 2017 in Recipes
It's been so long since I used my ice cream maker - far too long. Was going to buy ice cream today to go with dessert, but ran out of cash and had a surplus of yoghurt, so I threw 500ml full fat plain yoghurt (not Greek, just normal) in the machine with about 4tbsp sugar, half a tsp vanilla, and the grated zest from a lemon and a lime. Came out beautiful, and a bit lighter than the ice cream to boot!

Anyone else experimented with fro yo? I've done it before with pureed strawberries and that was fantastic. I make real ice cream too on occasion but I love the convenience of frozen yoghurt, it has a real "dump & go" feel. Plus a bit lighter on the calories. Doesn't store as well as it tends to freeze harder than ice cream, best eaten fresh after making, but that's not really a tall order...

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to buy an ice cream maker soon. And the fro yo sounds like a great idea. Is it much less calories or just a bit?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I freeze a concoction together for dessert every night - natural yoghurt, collagen powder, Stevia, apple pie spice, sometimes cacao and Pb. I add fruit and nuts.... It's not the same as icecream but it is close enough. i just need to remember to get it out early enough to defrost :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I'm planning to buy an ice cream maker soon. And the fro yo sounds like a great idea. Is it much less calories or just a bit?

Depends how much sugar you add. I like the tartness so mine is quite a lot fewer (certainly compared to my go-to ice cream recipe, which involves condensed milk and double cream! Must make that again soon!)
  • tweety6008
    tweety6008 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can make a healthier alternative to ice cream by slicing and freezing bananas then throwing them in the food processor with a bit of coca powder and milk. A spoonful of peanut butter makes it creamier and you can use any frozen fruit for it :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    tweety6008 wrote: »
    You can make a healthier alternative to ice cream by slicing and freezing bananas then throwing them in the food processor with a bit of coca powder and milk. A spoonful of peanut butter makes it creamier and you can use any frozen fruit for it :)

I've always wanted to try this but you need a powerful blender and I don't have one.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    tweety6008 wrote: »

I've always wanted to try this but you need a powerful blender and I don't have one.

You only need a processor... Not blender!

I find banana "nice cream" often ends up with more calories than a low fat icecream...