Best food for recovery?

Options
simmoner4
simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
Specifically for marathon training - any specific foods that will enhance recovery and speed up recovery time?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I'm actively training for an endurance ride and spending multiple hours on my bike, my go to is usually chocolate milk.

I like to have roughly a 4:1 ratio carbs to protein and chocolate milk is pretty close to bang on.
  • simmoner4
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I'm actively training for an endurance ride and spending multiple hours on my bike, my go to is usually chocolate milk.

I like to have roughly a 4:1 ratio carbs to protein and chocolate milk is pretty close to bang on.

I try to stick to the 3-4:1 ratio as well, chocolate milk is a no go for me though. Lactose intolerance doesn't agree with that
  • simmoner4
    Options
    I usually will have oats with banana, flax, and protein. Maybe some blueberries right after a run
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »

I try to stick to the 3-4:1 ratio as well, chocolate milk is a no go for me though. Lactose intolerance doesn't agree with that

they have milk alternatives that are chocolate flavored too. but I think the oats and bananas and stuff would work just as well.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I live on oats and greens. Ran 34 marathons in the last 3 years on a mostly WFPB diet. Your post run oats, banana, blueberries is right on and it's ok if you want to add some protein and flax.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

What about lactose free milk?
  • simmoner4
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

That's what I have. Just not nutrient dense.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

That's what I have. Just not nutrient dense.

I mean like Lactaid. Not a nut milk...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options

They make lactose free, but that would interfere with you getting the carbs you want. So lactose free chocolate milk AND a banana...............yum.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• J72FIT
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

They make lactose free, but that would interfere with you getting the carbs you want. So lactose free chocolate milk AND a banana...............yum.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Now you're just showing off, ha...