WTH???

Options
So, I was 8 lbs from my initial goal weight. Have lost 43 lbs :) I had only been doing cardio: treadmill, stairs, swimming or hiking. Decided to begin strength training after reading many of the posts here & meeting with trainer at gym. I started doing what my trainer recommended about 2 weeks ago, then added SL5X5 this week and enjoy it but I have gone up 1.5 lbs :'(
So, I upped my water & increased cardio time from ~30 mins to ~40. How long does it take to get rid of the increased (water) weight? I'm assuming that's what it is. And is the retained water associated with DOMS?
I had my BF rechecked & it supposedly went down 1% but the scale, as of today, is still up 1.5 lbs?
I really enjoy the lifting/SL but I was so close to goal, should I pause the weight training/SL until I reach my goal or just persevere?
FYI, I religiously track all food/liquids using a scale and measuring cups, over 300 consecutive days now. I have varied b/t 1200-1400 calories per day.
I'm 6 ft tall female.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight training will cause you to retain more water. Unless you are solely fixated on your weight, I would keep on keeping on.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    dwrightlaw wrote: »
    I had my BF rechecked & it supposedly went down 1% but the scale, as of today, is still up 1.5 lbs?

Maybe it's a good time to rethink a weight based goal and see what lifting can do for reducing body fat. The point of weight loss is to to lose body fat and lifting is the way you make sure all the weight you lose if fat rather than fat and muscle.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just keep on doing weights. You can still lose fat and isn't that what really matters, not a little extra water weight?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    And is the retained water associated with DOMS?

short answer: yes. but for me that uptick often outlasts the doms and can hang around for a couple of weeks.

i don't worry about it anymore, personally. if you really do just want to see that goal number for the sake of seeing it, then my experience has always been that as soon as something stops me lifting for a week or so, that weight drops back off.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I say who cares about 1.5 pounds of water weight when you have a 1% drop in body fat! Keep up the good work. How you look and feel is more important the the number on the scale. :D
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    S And is the retained water associated with DOMS?

Most likely, although it could also be to do with your monthly cycle. 1.5lb is really nothing though, thanks to a combination of weights and time of the month I'm 5lb up on last week, but expect to have dropped that plus a bit more by Tuesday morning ready to start the week's lifting again.

• dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will keep on keepin' on!